Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Ga

Caden is a very smart boy, a very talented boy...I think he is incredibly gifted and passionate about music for such a young boy....but his lack of vocabulary is starting to get to me. I can only hear 'GA' so many times before I want to rip my ever-loving hair out.

He says dada, banana, something resembling 'all done', yes, uh-oh, yay and Nan...and he can also do animal sounds for cats, dogs, cows, ducks, dinosaurs, and chickens....but that's where it ends. Everything else is communicated with a 'ga' and a point...or he'll grab me by the hand and take me where he wants to go. He also uses objects to tell me what he wants. If he wants to go outside he grabs his shoes and socks, brings them to me and sits on the floor for me to put them on. If he wants to watch the Wiggles he'll grab his red chair and move it infront of the tv or he'll bring me the DVD with the remote and say, 'Ga.'

I've tried ignoring him until he says the word, but it just leads to frustrating and tears. After his nap I gave him a cup of milk and when he wanted more I wouldn't re-fill it until he said, 'more' so the boy has been pretty much milk-less all afternoon.

We read books everyday...he does watch TV but it's mostly educational and interactive....plus we are usually talking and playing the entire time a program is on. I'm constantly talking to him, rarely using baby-talk except for the word 'diapey' for diaper which I think is just fun and cute :) I thought that once the paci was gone he'd start talking like crazy but no such luck.

I know he is fine cognitively because he understands almost everything I say. He knows when it's time to go...he turns off the tv, grabs his shoes and usually the diaper bag and heads for the door....he can do karate on demand (anyone who has not seen this, check out the video on my page:)
He can hum a tune he has just heard almost to perfection...I know there's nothing wrong with him...I'm just so sick of 'ga's'. I really don't know what else to do to urge the speaking along....and if one more person tells me to just try talking to him regularly I'm going to punch them in the face...sorry if you gave me that advice..:)

So aside from, 'Try talking to him' if anyone has any advice or consolation, I would love to hear it.

Ga.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe you should stop talking to him, no more books, no more conversations or interactions- anytime he wants something, respond with a simple GA! See how he likes it and perhaps he will come to recognize just how annoying those two little letters really are. Or respond with ARGH! and pretend you are a pirate. Ahoy!

Anonymous said...

Take him to Newfoundland.... we Newfies love to talk- and when he goes back he'll talk the head off of you :)

Dana said...

Why don't you just try talking to him normally? Oh ga!, now you're going to punch me in the face!

Ga!

Oh, I'm kidding. I'm sure that it is frustrating as much as you are around him but he continues to increase his vocabulary. Just think of where he was a few months ago compared to now.