Monday, January 12, 2009

Transition

Transitions are hard on everyone. Going back to work full-time has been a difficult transition after being home for two years. Finding the time to do laundry, run errands and make a decent dinner has been challenging and seeing Caden for only three hours a day is something I'm not sure I'll ever feel quite right about.
Jay changing fields after many years in the fitness industry has been a transition for him. Finding the time to work out has been hard. He use to be able to exercise whenever he wanted while spending his days in a store filled with fitness equipment but now it's a more difficult thing to fit into an already packed schedule. Going from retail to business-business sales has also been an adjustment for him. Luckily, he's a tough cookie and seems to do well at everything he takes on.
Caden moving to the three year old class has been a transition for him too. He went from being one of the oldest and more advanced kids in his class to the youngest and least mature. Most of his classmates are close to a year older than him, which in toddler time, means a lot. He is expected to sit through circle time in a group of 30+ kids and because some of the learning material is a bit over his head, he's been less than attentive sometimes. He also had 2 'accidents' last week which his teachers attribute to the fact that the classroom change can cause regression in potty training.
I wonder what would happen if we all peed in our pants when things got tough...it's a good thing he's cute....I couldn't get away with that.
At the end of the day, we're all doing just fine. We embrace the changes life throws our way because we lack the choice not to. Change is going to happen, whether we like it or not. The key is how we react to things...how we treat one another in the midst of the stress...how much self control we can exercise in the midst of a situation that we have no control over.
I am learning to give God the glory in spite of my circumstances. Don't get me wrong, my circumstances are pretty darn awesome. Sometimes I sit back and watch my family and think, "Why in the world do I get to be so blessed?"
But in those moments when things don't go my way, when I'm unsure as to where I'm going, when I have no clue about what's going on...during the transitions of my life, the ones I like and the ones I don't...the ones I've chosen and the ones that chose me, I'm learning to be content and trust that God is in all things.
I choose this day to trust that God's got the whole world in His hands...I'm going to change from doubting and worrying to trusting and praising...and that's a transition I'm looking forward to making.

1 comment:

jny said...

Now I have that David Bowie song in my head..
Your blogs are inspiring and amusing--especially when I'm suppose to be working.