Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration 2009

I work for a company that specializes in applied technologies and enterprise intelligence for government and law enforcement agencies. Basically, we create and maintain the cool machines that help the good guys catch the bad guys. When I say 'we' I certainly don't mean 'me'...I just collect the money :)
Because of the company's position and interest in homeland security and government, we were all invited to the large, video conference room today to eat pizza and watch the inauguration of the 44th president of the United States.
I've never seen an inauguration before, and this was certainly a great one to witness.
I am not an American citizen, nor will I ever choose to become one, but I do strongly like America and couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of pride and excitement when watching this afternoon's festivities unfold.
President Obama, who delivered a powerful and well written speech with charm and charisma, inspired those who watched whether they voted for him or not. I believe this will be a presidency for the history books, not based on the colour of skin but instead on great leadership, vision and intelligence.
I've lived in America for 6 years so this is the first time I will be under the leadership of a President who is not George Bush. I'll admit, I've been more than ready for the change over.
I think for me the most poignant part of the whole thing was when Pastor Rick Warren prayed over the President, the other leaders and their families. It was a moment, for me, of assurance in my faith and re-ignition of my hope. To see some of the world's most powerful men and women, bowing before God's throne in the name of his son Jesus Christ, brought joy to my heart.
For the most part, I believe in the separation of church and state. I do not believe that it is governments job to hold us to a standard of Christian morality, but I was blessed to see this Presidency committed into the hands of God before it began, because regardless of how good or bad President Obama turns out to be, God is still in control. God is in whom we should put our trust. God can change impossible situations in the blink of an eye. God is bigger than America, the so-called super power. Everything is small compared to the greatness of the Almighty and today, we watched as a President-elect bowed his head before taking office and acknowledged all of the above.
What an encouragement! To know our new leader has his priorities straight. That regardless of whether he does everything right in the eyes of the 'church' he took the time to sit in prayer and commit his legacy and leadership to the God of heaven and earth.
I'm excited for what is to come. For what President Obama is going to do, but mostly for what God is going to do through him and the people of the nation I live in.

No comments: