Sunday, September 21, 2008

Why we do What we do

I didn't have to play in the worship team today. Normally if I am not playing on a Sunday morning it is because I am out of town...today I sat in the congregation of gc.tv for the first time in at least 1.5 years.
Allow me to be honest: In the last few months I have been wondering why it is we are doing what it is we are doing. There is SO much money and SO much time poured into making church function, I was beginning to wonder if maybe we missed the point. I kept thinking, "When did spreading the gospel become so expensive?"
I've also been negative about being too busy doing church to meet anyone in church. I've had people approach me in public as if they've known me for years...I am always awkwardly confused because I have never seen them before in my life, yet they see me every Sunday. It happened at Costco today...I was becoming very convicted about being too busy with church to meet 'the church'.
Mostly, with a family that is constantly on the go, I was beginning to covet the time I spend volunteering on Sunday morning. I love the band. I love playing and singing and leading worship...but I was getting really tired and wondering if maybe my Sunday's would be better spent just laying low with the family I love and miss so much during the week. I told Jerad I needed to take a step back and start playing every other Sunday.
Today was my first Sunday off the worship team schedule. The fam and I slept in until 7:45! I can not stress enough that this NEVER happens...it felt AMAZING to get out of bed after the sun was up. Caden slept in and remained quiet until we came and got him. We quickly showered and threw on some clothes then headed into the Canopy Road Cafe for a yummy pancake breakfast. On the way into town we got stopped by the police for speeding but were let off with a warning and a lecture about paying attention to the road...I would like to state for the record that I was not driving this time :)
After yummy pancakes, we headed to church and got there right on time. We stopped at the childcare building and I waited in the car while Jay brought Caden into toddler church. I was watching everyone bringing there kids into church and became very emotional by the beauty of community I was seeing. I don't usually see it when rushing to do set up and sound check. There were so many families coming together, hugging and greeting each other, excited to be together in the name of the Lord. It was beautiful, and I hadn't even entered the building yet!
We drove over to the little theatre (where the main sanctuary is) and we walked in. The music had already started and it sounded amazing. Generally I hear a pretty muffled mix of the music because I am on stage without a monitor (cause my ears are too small to keep the ear monitors in :) but from the congregation the music sounds amazing! I sat in the back, able to see and hear everyone singing and praising around me and it was AMAZING! I LOVED IT! I felt so silly feeling so overwhelmed by what I see every week, but this different perspective was just what I needed to refresh my spirit and remind myself as to why this is all worth it. The worship continued to be great, the message was great and I got to talk to people! I talked to people ALL morning...long after the second service had already started...my husband hates that when walking with me we have to stop every 2 feet and have a conversation but it was FANTASTIC! I met people who have known me for years and they are precious! I saw from the perspective of someone who may come for the first time what a great community of people I belong to and I remembered why I put so much in...why I volunteer my buns off...why I arrange my schedule that is already jam packed to be a part of this organization. To create an atmosphere for worship and a pleasurable place for people to come together, learn, grow, serve, give and love Christ and each other. Good times.
After church we headed to Costco, got some groceries and some more pull-ups, drove home, whining the whole way about how much we hate living in Crawfordville and how stupid we were to move, had some lunch, took some much needed time to clean up around the outside of the house (because we're more motivated to sell now than ever), played some catch and watched some poop ball (football...I'm not a fan).
Today has been a great day. Thank you God for fresh perspective, for family time and an incredible church.

2 comments:

The Secret of Happiness said...

I'm glad you're taking some time for Kathy

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
What a great blog post. I guess this is one of the reasons why I love mixing sound at GC.TV. We have a great music ministry that brings us into the presence of God. I strive to make the experience enjoyable so everyone can freely enter into worship. Barbara and I had spent years apart in church. She did the overheads and I did the sound. We both got burned out. Now we get to enjoy worshipping together when I am not working.

We had an old friend and his daughter come to the first service. She loved the music and the message and wants to come back. What we do makes a difference. Know Him and make Him known!
Steve Vickery