Saturday, December 01, 2007

Brain Damage

My son is a bit of a television addict. I've noticed this more so as of late, so I have moved the DVD's from sight and unplug the tv at certain times of the day to break the addiction. When I first got sick I was browsing around on the internet and stumbled across a research study that shows a correlation between early childhood tv watching and later childhood ADD. It said that television exposure between the ages of 0-3 could cause attention problems around the age of 5 or 6 because the brain is trained to need constant attention grabbing images to be entertained and focused.
It said that after the age of 3, exposure to educational programming is benefitial for children, but before that age it could be detrimental.
Perfect. I've flat out damaged the boys brain.
And of course, I read this at a time when I need the television more than ever because I've barely had enough energy to wash my own face.
On the other side of things, alot of the videos Caden watches are designed for children 0-3. They have classical music and word association and he really has learned alot from them...and would Baby Einstein be in operation if their products were designed to damage the brains of babies everywhere?
I also read an article that said these types of videos help to stimulate a babies brain, sharpen their vision and depth perception and that the exposure to music can be very benefitial to a child's ability to pick up on music and foreign languages.
I'm unsure as to who to believe.
So to Caden's future teachers:
I apologize if Caden has difficulty focusing. I don't know why that is the case...but I take all of the credit if he is a child genious and a musical prodogy.
-Caden's Mom

No comments: