Friday, December 21, 2007

Prayer Closet

Lately I have been thirsty for more of God but haven't been very proactive with our relationship. There's always something to take my attention away from reading scripture or praying. After a message Pastor Brian preached a few weeks ago, I knew it was time to stop being complacent. To stop thinking about having daily quiet time with God and to just start doing it.
If I'm lucky, Caden will usually sleep from about 1-3 in the afternoon which gives me a two hour block of time to do whatever I want (within these four walls of course.) I usually take this opportunity to get a shower, catch up with friends, mess around on the computer, clean things that are difficult to clean when he's awake and various other babyless activities. I'm easily distracted so I had to find somewhere in my house where I could be completely alone with God. Where no laptop, tv, cleaning project, telephone, window, animal or snack food could distract me. I chose my closet.
So lately, God and I have been having afternoon conversations in my walk-in closet and it's really been an incredible experience. I was praying in there the other day and I felt this overwhelming sense of God's presence and was completely humbled by the fact that I was talking to the God of the universe. Prayer really is an amazing privilege. My bible has a permanent spot next to my shoe rack, underneath my hooded sweatshirts. It's funny because now that I've moved my bible from beside my bed to my closet floor, I use it more often. I'm really having quite the revelation. Instead of procrastinating my time with God like I've done in the past, I get excited for it.
My church experience has been much more powerful too. I was so overwhelmed by God's greatness on Sunday that I could hardly play.
I'm realizing that you really can't love someone until you make an effort to get to know them. We're all told we should love God, but love is something that comes from not only admiration of what God has done, but of who He is. Knowing Him leads to loving Him..it's impossible not to...after all, scripture says, 'You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.' -Jeremiah 29:13
All of my heart...not just the Sunday morning part or the 'when i need something' part. I've heard that scripture a million times but it's starting to make perfect and practical sense to me now.
I encourage everybody to spend more time in their closet. It might become your favourite room in the house.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Kathy... I like it. God Bless you as you spend more time with Him in that special place. I truly believe that we all need that special place and yes, it is whatever really works for you. The scripture of Jeremiah 29:13 is definitely true.

I hope you have a truly blessed Christmas. May God Bless you and your family as you celebrate the Birth of Christ:)