Monday, March 24, 2008

We're at it again

GC.TV's latest message series, 'Inked' is causing quite a stir in the community. Check out Easter Sunday's article in the Tallahassee Democrat. The article is great. Reader response is mixed.
Apparently this time we're pagans who have shamelessly desecrated God's temple with our tattooed bodies.
Shame on us for marking our bodies with memorials of loved ones who have past, loving tributes to mothers, fathers, spouses and children and images that represent God and the Holy Trinity.
Oh my. People are funny.
In my case, I have openly offered to get a GC.TV sponsored tat on stage while Pastor Brian is preaching....cool visual for the people....free ink for me! They've yet to take me up on the offer though. Maybe me screaming in pain would take away from the sermon :)
You just have to wonder whether those who take such a passionate stance against tattooing really know the culture and reasoning behind the scripture in Leviticus...or why the same people do not take an equally passionate stance against ear piercings or obesity. After all, heart disease kills people. Tattoos don't...but no one is protesting against the post-church crowd stuffing their faces at the Golden Coral. And why must we literally adhere to the old testament laws against tattooing but we can forget about the laws against wearing cotton blends or eating medium rare steak?
I believe the bible is inherent and should be taken as literally as possible but when studying it you have to be sensitive to the culture, situations and goings on of that time. The bible is afterall a book of history and although God doesn't change, culture does. What was once a sign of pagons is now a beautiful artform that can be used to spread the gospel.
I wish more people knew why they believed what they believed.
Anyway, that's my mini-soap box. Check out the article and my good friends on the cover.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm....Kathy - I must take you to task about your comments which are nothing short of inflammatory. My family and I ate at the Golden Corral last weekend. I did eat medium rare steak, but saw no-one wearing what I consider to be a cotton blend. I did see a lot of people stuffing their faces and this is one of the more unforgetful signs of living in America. 'Im proud not to be a Canadien' (as the song goes). Don't you guys eat moose?

Anne Dean said...

great blog. i'm with ya sister. also, nice corral reference.

Anonymous said...

good to hear your support for a fellow tattooee, and Christian. I was worried about the backlash, and as the message board indicates, there are still many who are not ready for people like myself. But, I am still proud of what I have done to honor God with my body, and we all know I will not stop until I am out of canvas. Your words are poignant and comforting.

Stephanie said...

Interesting article...and comments to it... people speaking in ignorance drives me crazy.

Anonymous said...

wow! Let's just consider how controversial Jesus was!! I personally wouldn't get a tattoo just for the fact that I am too indecisive and know I would regret it, however I have no issues with anyone, Christian or not, getting a tattoo. I think many are beautiful and an amazing piece of work.
I just think it's sad that personal attacks are coming out in this. I think there are different denominations for a reason. People have their unique opinions etc, and that's why you choose one denomination over another, props to reaching out to another community loving on them and giving them a place to feel comfortable and welcome.

There's a biker church here in Ottawa. I'm not too familiar with it, but everyone wears their harley gear, and ride their bike to church. I bet bringing someone from Hell's Angels, they'd feel more welcome there then into a church where everyone is in suits etc.