Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Kathy of All Trades

It's official. I have a job....Actually, I have 2 jobs!
After almost 3 years out of the work force (with the exception of 4 shifts at Bath and Body Works and a stint with Mary Kay) I am an employee again.
3 weeks ago I applied for a data entry position online. I never thought much about it, but a few days ago a man called me to set up a phone interview. I gave Caden a snack and put him in front of Mickey Mouse and proceeded to the bathroom for my interview...classy eh? It is the quietest place in the house...
We scheduled an actual interview for this morning and I got all dolled up and headed into town. I arrive at the building which I anticipated would be a tiny, hole in the wall business, to find a beautiful and massive, FBI secured facility. The gentlemen showed me around, the large kitchen and break area as well as the state of the art fitness facility....this place is sweet!
We talked for about 15 minutes...I then went and talked to someone else...I went back and talked to man #1 and they assured me that I would know by tonight whether the job was mine.
Well, I just received an email with a job offer....a salary higher than what I asked for and an incredibly flexible schedule that will work awesome with Caden. It couldn't be more ideal. I will work Monday through Friday but aside from that I choose the times...and I have the ability to work from home on days when I need to...they'll give me a laptop to complete my work here! They were perfectly ok with the traveling I have already scheduled to do this year...it's almost too perfect...I couldn't be happier. The commute is even ideal. It's in Tallahassee which means that Caden doesn't have to change schools, but it's about 20 minutes closer to home than Jay's store in a beautiful area of town called Southwood.
Job number 2 is something I interviewed for about a month ago for a freelance Makeup artist position and after arriving at the boutique thought I may have gotten myself into more than I anticipated. Afterall, I'm not a cosmetologist or an esthetician. The store/spa is a beautiful, upscale place that sells high end make up found only in New York City, Italy and France. I thought that maybe my Mary Kay experience would be laughed out the door and since I hadn't heard from anyone I assumed it wasn't going to happen...but yesterday I got a call and they want me to come in tomorrow to do complimentry makeovers on women during a special product sale. It's freelance so I may only get a gig once a month or so, but it should be fun...and I don't have to pay taxes. Woo hoo!
I feel great about all of this. Caden is really enjoying school and I am very ready to have a schedule and a little piece of my independence back. Caden should only have to go to school 2-3 days a week so he'll still have alot of face time with the 'rents. I feel really good about things. Life on a scale of 1 to 10 right now would be about a 12.

2 comments:

The Secret of Happiness said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

congratulations.....I'm so happy for you....enjoy!

ps if you want to give me one of those job's I'd prefer the data entry one over the make-up one...make-ups really not my thing;)