Saturday, July 07, 2007

Bad Girl, Bad Girl whatcha gonna do....

My husband and I are huge fans of the tv show COPS. It's actually been our Saturday night 'thing' for quite sometime now. A little chinese food, a little COPS, and on a good night finish it off with some canoli's. Yum.
This week has been my own personal COPS episode as I have been pulled over not once, but twice for speeding...naughty me.
Let me start at the begining.
The first day we moved to Crawfordville, I headed out to the dump with a car full of trash. I was wearing the clothes I had worn to bed the night before and with unbrushed hair and an unwashed face I planned on going straight to the dump and coming straight home.
After a morning long fiasco of realizing the dump was closed and driving from business to business seeking refuge for my trash in a dumpster, I was heading back home frazzled and tired....when I suddenly found myself in the middle of a routine police check....they were checking to make sure that everyone had their lisences on them and I, of course, didn't.
The cop wrote my current address on the back of my registration, ran my name, commented on my foriegn status and let me go with a 7 dollar ticket.
Fast forward to Monday.
On my way home from dropping off Dave after a night in the recording studio, I am speedily making my way home and who should pull me over, but the same cop from the month before!
This time I have my lisence, but it still has my old address and he laughs as he sees his hand writing on the back of my registration. He goes to his car and comes back with a $70.00 ticket for not changing my address and a warning for speeding.
Fast forward to this afternoon.
I'm driving along Blairstone road in Tallahassee chattin on the phone with my Dad and I see the blue and red lights in my rear view
"....This can't be happening...."
But alas, it was.
I hang up on my dad and roll down my window. Different cop this time but he asks me if I knew I was speeding and I give him the excuse that my father called from Canada and I was distracted (sorry dad for throwing you under the bus). He looks back at Caden's seat and tells me his chest straps are too loose. I tell him about how I went to the police station several times for child seat safety instructions and that I appreciate his knowledge and he commends me for my safety efforts.
He goes back to his car and I begin to pray.
"Father, please spare me from a ticket. I tithe!", I remind Him.

Seconds later he comes back with a smirk and says,
"Ma'am, how many times have you been pulled over this week?"

I go into my speech about all of my encounters with law enforcement and he says,
"I gotta tell you, when I look up your name it doesn't look good. You've got 2 warnings and 2 tickets just within a few weeks....but you seem very sweet so I'm going to let you off with another warning...but I promise you next time you're going to get a speeding ticket."

PHEW!

Bad girl, bad girl whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you

3 comments:

Cathy said...

My darling daugter-in-law,is my son still speaking to you? I know all too well that sinking feeling when there is a cop behind you. The men in our family will never let you live this one down. Glad you are OK.
Love,
Mom

Dana said...

You are my funniest friend...now I know not to ever ride with you but you're funny!

Anonymous said...

We will have to compare cop stories. My last "blue light special" was because my brand new car went nuts, the engine was over idling - racing. I got pulled for going 47 mph in a 35 mile an hour zone. I was let go because I promised wait for the wrecker the cop had called to come get my malfunctioning car.

I have to warn you - the Wakulla County cops will nail you. This is how they get a lot of their revenue! Lol!

Maybe Jesus is using you to witness to law enforcement - think positive.