Saturday, March 24, 2007

Baby Polar Bear

Caden was adamantly protesting a morning nap this morning, so after about 45 minutes of yelling, playing, throwing and being pretty funny in his crib, I decided to take him out and assume that today would be a one nap day.
After a yummy lunch of toast, chicken breast sandwich meat and applesauce, Caden and I decided that it would be a good pool day!
I slathered him up with sunscreen and put on his little swimmers followed by his stylin trunks and we headed down. There were about 4 couples suntanning by the pool when we arrived and I went over to the pool stairs to feel the water. It was pretty darn cold. I put Caden's feet in the water, expecting that he would freak out about the temperature but to my amazement, he wanted to go further in! So I braced myself and got in the pool, leading him one baby step at a time (literally) until we were both fully submerged in the water. He loved it! He splashed and kicked and laughed hysterically, periodically taking a moment to shiver and then resumed the fun. Everyone at the pool was watching us out of the corner of their eyes, until finally
I heard a girl say to her boyfriend, "If a baby can do it, we can do it!"
They came to the edge of the pool, counted off and jumped in. Afterwards they screamed "The water must be sub-zero temperatures."
They jumped out and looked over at Caden and said, "How is he doing that!?!?!"
My assumption would be his part-Canadian blood. I expect that he will be able to endure the best of all seasons due to his mixed-cultured self....The crisp wind of winter, the overwhelming heat of summer and the freezing temperatures of March pool water.
I'm thinking of signing him up for the Polar Bear swim next January.

No comments: