Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Heart of a Child

About 2 weeks ago we began sponsoring a child from Zambia named Chrispine. At that time, we showed Caden his picture and had him repeat his name. After that, we never mentioned him again by name. We spoke of his 'brother' in our prayers, but we didn't say his actual name. We thought just referring to him as 'brother' would be easiest for now, since we didn't have a picture of him to reference.
The other night, our package arrived from World Vision with Chrispine's pictures and information. I showed the picture to Caden and said, "Who is this?" Expecting him to say, "Dend!" (which means 'friend' in Caden language).
Instead he looked at it and shouted, "CHRISPINE!"
I was floored! He remembered his name! My 2.5 year old son remember the name of his brother from Zambia, as though he understood how special he is. 2 weeks ago we showed Caden Chrispine's picture and explained all about him, thinking it was going way over his 2.5 year old head, but he grasped the importance of that little boy and made a note in his mind to remember his name....It was overwhelming to me.
I may be biased, but I see in my little boy such a compassionate heart. He's sensitive and deep while being crazy and silly. I am so blessed to know him and intimidated by raising him. I know already that he is and is going to be a far better person than I am, and I praise God for that, while asking for the direction and strength to raise him in a way that doesn't quench the beautiful person God has created him to be.

1 comment:

Dana said...

"He's sensitive and deep while being crazy and silly."

A perfect description of his wonderful parents too, my friend!