Sunday, May 11, 2008

Overwhelmed

Sometimes I become so overwhelmed with all that I have and with all of my blessings that I can't sleep. At 12:20am, that's where I find myself right now.
Today my son showed up to church with a mother's day balloon tied around his wrist and a card in his hands, which he graciously gave over to me. How cute is that? Anyone who has a child knows that giving up a balloon is no easy task. I think he had a little help from his pet giant, Daddy. I am so blessed.
When leaving church today I had two bags, my extra pair of shoes, a sippy cup, Caden, my keyboard, my keyboard pedal and chords and my mother's day presents in my hands. I was a little bogged down as you can imagine. Jay was working so I managed to get everything into the car by myself. I tied the balloon to my shoes, and put the shoes on top of the car while I put Caden in his seat. When I stood up to get what was on the roof, my balloon was gone. I was super sad that the wind had taken away my gift. I licked my finger, felt the direction of the breeze and looked down the parking lot, across a field, 30 feet away and down onto the running track at Leon High School, and saw my balloon whirling around amongst the afternoon runners. I started on the hunt. I had no idea how to get down to that area, but I jumped in the car and flew down the street. I took the first right I saw and ended up exactly where I needed to be. The balloon had wrapped itself around a fire escape railing and there was a woman about to grab it for herself. I jumped out of the car like a mad woman, "THAT'S MY BALLOON!"
The wind then took the balloon off of the stair case and onto the roof of a short building. She and I stood there wondering how we were going to get it down when I said a small prayer under my breath. In the midst of all that is going on in the universe, God sent me the perfect little breeze and down came the balloon into my hands. Meanwhile, Caden is in the car completely embarrassed and mortified I'm sure...that his mother is running like a maniac in heels at the high school track, trying to grab a helium balloon on a windy day.
There was no way I was letting that precious gift get away.
I don't know why I have the amazing husband I have, or an incredible son to call my own. I don't know why I was blessed with great parents or why I have musical talent, or why I have many great friends...I don't know why I have a flexible job that is perfect for me or a little plot of land on the planet to call our own....I don't know why things just always turn out for good even in the midst of financial stress and the unknown but all I can say is that I'm thankful.
Thankful to be Jason's wife. Thankful to be Caden's mom. Thankful to be Howard and Judy's daughter. Thankful to be able to lead people in song. Thankful to have good friends to laugh/cry/grow with. Thankful for flexibility and success. Thankful for our home. Thankful to be a child of God...that he sees me in my ridiculousness and still sees fit to send just enough wind my way when I need it most. I'm just thankful, and at the end of a very long day which marks the end of a very long week, that's a great thing to be.
Alright, It's 12:37...I'm off to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are so totally gay.