Saturday, May 24, 2008

Going Home


See that itty bitty piece of land hanging off the north east part of North America?...Look closely...it has a long point on the top left side and it sits pretty right next to Nova Scotia. That's Newfoundland, and we are going to be there in 3 days.
I am indescribably excited about this. I'm excited to see my family. My grandmother who I haven't seen in almost 2 years and my dad who I haven't seen since Caden's 1st birthday..and of course my mom, who I was blessed to spend some time in March with but still can't wait to see again. I'm excited to see my friends...most of which I got to see 2 years ago, but some that I haven't seen in 6 and 7 years! We're going to have a fire on the beach and hit the irish pubs (for the music of course) of downtown St. John's. I'm excited to be outside in one the most spectacular places on earth. Ellen Page from the movie 'Juno' described Newfoundland as being, "So picturesque you expect a pterodactyl to swoop down from the sky."
It's literally that unreal.
I'm excited to spend time in my home with my husband, who throughout our entire marriage has only been there twice, the last time being September 2004. It's difficult living so far away from a culture that most people know nothing about. I'm going to cherish this time that my husband and child can get to know me even better than they do now by seeing and experiencing the place and people that made me who I am.
Mostly I am excited for Jay to have 9 days with absolutely no responsibilities. I know this trip is going to do alot for him...he may even return from it a new and refreshed person. I know he'll return from it a freshly tattooed person but that's another story for another time :)
Since many of you that read this have no idea where I come from, except that I sometimes use words that don't actually exist in the English language, I've put some pics together so you can have a glimpse into what we will be seeing in 3 days.
Enjoy!

The house I grew up in.

The town I grew up in, Green's Harbour.

Another shot of Green's Harbour. This was taken at the end of May, 2005.

Most of the Harbour communities in Newfoundland were settled when the fishery was alive and vibrant. It hasn't been that way for the majority of my life, with the exception of government allowed seasonal fishing...but the communities still reflect the culture and beauty of a time when people lived souly off the land.

Jay proposed to me here, on Signal Hill in St. John's back in April, 2003.

Historic Downtown St. John's. There are not enough photos in the world to capture the coolness of this town. I miss it terribly.

The cool thing about St. John's is that down town is literally down...it's a steep ride to that historic and eclectic area. If you're in St. John's and you want to find downtown, just head down towards the harbour and make sure you have good brakes.

Last time Jay and I were home together (almost 4 years ago!) we went on a whale watching tour in St. John's. It was a cool experience, but it was a bad season for whales and icebergs, so we didn't see either. May and June are the BEST months for whales and icebergs and this year is rumoured to be the best iceberg season in 10 years...so we will be heading out on another whale watching tour, this time we'll hopefully see some whales! And huge hunks of ice!




These were signs and images I saw frequently growing up. When I was old enough to drive, the last thing dad would say before I'd leave the house was, 'Watch out for da Moose!'

3 comments:

Dana said...

Wow, what a gorgeous place! Jealous that you're getting such a fabolous trip and sad that you'll be gone!

The Secret of Happiness said...

I know you'll all have a fabulous time! Caden is going to have his cheeks squat off!

Anonymous said...

I'm very jealous that you get to go home.