Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mudder's Day

That's Newfie talk for Happy Mother's Day.
I gave my husband a heads up last week and said, "Just letting you know, Mother's day is this Sunday."
He replied, "Ok, whatta ya want?"

Men.

They have no idea what to do for mother's day. I explained to him that I don't want anything...just recognition of the day...maybe a cute craft from Caden that they took time to do together for me...or a special Mother's day song like on that episode of Full House...anyways, I'm not going to hold my breath. I know my family loves me, but crafts might be a little too much to expect. :) I can't picture Jay craftin-it-up with scissors and a glue stick anyway.

I, on the other hand know what mother's need and that is a little hug around the shoulders, a kiss on the cheek and a pat on the back for all of the unseen things they do...maybe a facial if you have the resources :)

Since Jay doesn't always express himself well, I'll take this opportunity to wish his mom, Catherine, a Happy Mama Day:
You are a loving and kind hearted mother and grandmother. We all miss you very much and wish we could be closer for this mommy appreciation day. We can't wait to see you in July!
Thank you for raising a son who is an amazing husband and father. He is a wonderful man. Be very proud. Take a long bath, read an inspiring book, relax and enjoy this day knowing that you are loved. Thank you for being you.

To me Mudder: I often say that now that I am a mother, I have a deeper appreciation for my own. I've raved about her many a time before because she is one to rave about. Completely self-less...a shining example of motherhood. My mom taught me how to be a good wife by being a great wife to my dad. She taught me how to nuture by nuturing, how to love by loving, how to be like Christ by being Christ-like. My mother taught me that you can be a strong, independent, intellegent woman while being a caregiver or running a business or being an active volunteer.
At 9 months pregnant, she left an important job in a bank where she was very successful to raise my sister and I and to take care of my father's aging parents. She has been taking care of our elderly family members ever since, almost 30 years.
Mom has two children who live very far away from her. One on the other side of the nation (Canada is the second largest country in the world so that's pretty far away) and me, on the southern tip of a foriegn land. It has been very difficult on her to have her grandson in another country but she has always encouraged us to live where we're happy and has made having a relationship with Caden a priority by calling to talk to him everyday, travelling whenever time and money allow, demanding photos and videos on a regular basis and above all, praying for his life. A grandmother's love can cross borders and span nations. Family and friend relationships mean everything to my mother. She remembers every birthday...i don't mean just our birthdays, i mean EVERY birthday, on the planet...or at least that's what it feels like...I remember our kitchen calender having a birthday reminder on everyday of the year. Her heart is crazy big.
So I write this for my mother, because I know that even though my physical card is going to be super late (i'm never on the ball when it comes to international shipping), these words will mean alot to her, and they should because they are all true.
I hope when Caden is older he will have a blog like this...and maybe once or twice a year he'll type something nice about me. If i'm half the woman my mother is then that shouldn't be a problem for him...and by that time Jay will be off the hook for mother's day :)
Happy Mother's Day Mom.

No comments: