Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Saying Goodbye

Last night Jay, Caden and I had the upsetting privelege of having 'the last supper' (if I may be so morbid:) with our dear friends, Dave and Lynne. Early this morning they left on a God inspired adventure for Salt Lake City, Utah. Anyone who has heard their story knows that this is without a doubt a Godly move for them to make...but it doesn't change the fact that I'm writing this with a lump in my throat and a pit in my stomach, missing them terribly and wishing they didn't have to go.
Dave, Lynne, Georgia and Bailey became more than just friends to our family...they became apart of our family. I have never felt more connected or more understood by anyone on so many levels. No matter what I was dealing with, Lynne always understood from experience. Being a stay at home mom, being far from home, the financial struggles of a one income household, wanting desperatly to sell a house in Crawfordville...I literally mean on every level, Lynne could look at me compassionately and say, 'I completely understand.'
When they lived in Crawfordville, it was constantly comforting knowing that they were just down the road. They are the kind of friends whose home is always open. No need to call ahead or ask, just come on over and you'll be fed and entertained by their graciousness. Georgia's incredible heart for children has been a blessing to Caden and myself, as she has spent many days and evenings watching him and loving on him. I never had to worry when Caden would stay with the Phillip's family, because I knew he was in tender, caring hands.
I know Georgia and Bailey will do remarkably well in their new home. They are going to form incredible relationships with new friends while maintaining the deep, rooted relationships with their friends here in Tallahassee. I don't worry about them...I'm excited for them.
In the same way, Dave and Lynne have amazing encounters waiting in Utah for them. God perfectly knit this together and gave them many directional signs, telling them this is His plan...which means there is greatness in store for these great people.
Saying good-bye was rough. We all did a marvelous job of holding it together although driving home we were a bit deflated by the whole thing. We drove in silence for a while because we were both fighting back the tears, then Jay said, "I feel like I just got punched in the stomach."
I knew exactly what he meant because I was feeling it (and still am feeling it) too.
So in the midst of my hope and excitement for them is an overlying sadness because I will miss my family while they are away.
Dave, Lynne, Georgia and Bailey, (or in the words of Caden: Doof, Nin, Jaja and Baydee),
Thank you for being who you are and for being our family. We have found in you something very rare to find outside of flesh and blood relationships. We trust you. We connect with you. We love you.
-Jason, Kathy and Caden

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kathy - you've made me cry all over again. Thank you for your kind words- we feel the same way about the Stock family!
love Doof.