Thursday, July 03, 2008

Inked







Today, Jay and I went on a tattoo date. (Yes, I pretty much kept this a secret.)

We both got some fresh ink that means alot to us. Jay did not get all of the above tattoos today...that would be a painful and expensive trip to the tattoo man. Today, he got the celtic cross underneath the arm. He got the maple leaf to represent me when we were in Canada (fitting!) and the others he's had for quite sometime. He also has a 'jesus fish' on his shoulder blade. He's a little more hardcore than I am :) but I support his decorative decisions...it's his body and the more art he bears on it, the more he feels like 'himself' and the more he discovers who he is...I dig that.
I have a star on my foot that I've had since I was 18 and have never regretted getting. I love it. It doesn't really have much meaning, but it represents a time when I was on the brink of everything...and I got it done with my bff Amy.
Since then I've always known I wanted another one, I just had no idea what I wanted.
I found a picture of the 'pitcher plant', Newfoundland's provincial flower, and thought is was stunning. Being as homesick as I am (and will forever remain) I can now have a little piece of home with me...a conversation starter so I can share my heritage with people I meet and a beautiful emblem that won't fade even when my memories do. It will remind me of my upbringing, my family, my culture, and where I came from that made me 'me'...Plus the flower itself represents natural beauty, strength and character...3 pretty amazing qualities. For me it also represents unity between Jay and I..I feel like we match more now :) and that's always a good thing.
So there it is...luckily Jay has made friends with a tattoo artist and he gave us some rocking good deals on some priceless art. If you have an itch to get inked, I can give you his name and phone number :)

4 comments:

The Secret of Happiness said...

I think they're beautiful. But tell me, did the one under Jay's arm hurt like nobody's business???

Anonymous said...

nice ink......Happy July 4th to my Canadian Friend living in the US...Happy July 4th to my american friend as well(That'd be for Jay)

Kathy said...

Thanks guys!
Jay was definitly making some interesting faces during his tat :) But he's so hardcore, he powered through.

Stephanie said...

"it represents a time when I was on the brink of everything"... I love that line... I did the same when I was 17... got a little flower on my shoulder... I hope to always keep a little bit of that free spirit in me...