Friday, June 20, 2008

A Blog I Shouldn't Have to Write

I'm sitting here at 3 am waiting for the police to come back to our house to take our statements. I'm assuming they'll be back considering they left their cars running on our lot about an hour ago in pursuit of the would-be robbers.
At about 1:30am we were awoken by Dakota (our big, scary yet wouldn't hurt a fly, husky) when she started barking like crazy at the door.
I sat up in bed, hit Jay and he jumped up and headed for the living room. I assumed it was nothing even though she never does this. Then I could hear Jay talking outside. I got up and peeked through the blinds to see his motorcycle tipped completely over on it's side. I said out loud, "No freaking way!"
So I threw on a hoody and ran outside to see Jay (in his boxers) talking to a mischievous looking teenage boy (who wasn't wearing a shirt...classic Wakulla County). He denied having anything to do with the tipped over bike and walked away. We both just stood there stunned...
So I called the sheriffs department to report it, just to see if they could drive up and down the road or something and the woman who answered told me that there have been a string of stolen motorcycles and dirt bikes in our area. She also told me that she lived right next door to us so she would be sending someone out right away.
2 cop cars showed up bearing 3 cops and they took off on foot down the dirt road in pursuit of our neighbourhood crooks. That was an hour ago and they are still not back....i'm hoping this means they caught someone...or maybe it means they got lost in the dark, dirt streets of Crawfordville...either way we're sitting here, tired and ticked off.
The bike has some minor scratches and the brake on one side has been bent pretty badly. We're hoping this doesn't make us the target house for teenage crime in our area (we've already been egged once!) but you have to exhaust all means of justice when someone violates you. It's so irritating and creepy. They were less than 10 feet from our sleeping heads trying to steal something we worked and paid for. Morons.
Anyway, I guess God loves them...for right now that will have to be enough. I'll love them later, when I feel like it. :)
Thank goodness for Dakota! She was rewarded with an elongated neck rub and a big piece of cheese.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Good girl, Dakota! I hope that everything is ok now. How scary.

Johnny said...

Hey Kathy,

That has to be a terrible feeling. Staci had her purse stolen in Jax, and we felt seriously vulnerable. It is a truly yucky feeling.