Wednesday, February 14, 2007

V Day

Valentines day is upon us again. I don't particularly like Valentines Day. When I was single I dreaded it. It was like a slap in the face...a reminder of the fact that I was alone, alone, alone.
My first Valentines Day with Jay was also very lonely....because I was in St. John's, Newfoundland and he was in Charlotte, North Carolina. He sent me a package with a robotic squirrel inside that sang, "I think I love you" when you pressed it's foot. The squirrel now resides on our bedroom dresser next to the many other robotic, singing animal impulse buys Jay has fallen victim to.
Jay and I spent about a year apart in the begining of our relationship so even now, 4 years later, everyday is precious and filled with thankfulness that we were able to come together from two seperate worlds.
This is why I don't like Valentines Day.
I don't think that it should take a commercial holiday to get us to focus on the one we love. Why is it that because Hallmark and Godiva have deemed Feburary14th some special day of love, we feel obligated to buy flowers and candy for someone when we don't make that same effort on the other 364 days of the year? I think that if people were showered with affection by the one they love everyday, then Valentines Day wouldn't be such a big deal and single women wouldn't take this 'special day' to binge eat and sob.
Don't get wrong, i'm not bitter about V-Day....I bought my husband a card and I'm sure that by the end of the day he'll buy me something :) but what matters is that loving eachother is a constant for us and we put alot of effort into making eachother feel loved everday...not just in February.
Happy Valentines Day everybody.

3 comments:

The Secret of Happiness said...

I told Des a gift on another day of the year would mean more.

Anonymous said...

I love those dancing chipmunks! Someday I want a whole room full of them.

Honeydew said...

My words exactly! Amen, Sista!