Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hungry Hungry Hippo

I certainly don't like referring to myself as a large mammal...but these days, I am super hungry! No, I'm not pregnant, but I do feel like a kid again. When I was a kid, I swam and rode my bike all summer long. Not concerned with poundage or looks in the good ol' days, I failed to notice the crazy tan and weight loss I would see happening to my body over the summer months. My memories of summer are filled with outdoor activities. Swimming, biking, hiking, fires on the beach, walking everywhere, playing spotlight in the evenings...lots of fun and lots of moving around in the fresh air.
I'm trying to re-capture that part of my youth and it feels really good. Now that we live in the city, I've started walking from place to place like I use to when I was in University. I love being a pedestrian again...although this town is not super pedestrian friendly and I am aware that summer is coming and the 89 degree days will soon be 110, but for now, I'm enjoying my jaunts. Over the past 6 years I have rarely walked from place to place, depending on my car as my primary mode of transport, but lately I am putting my God-given feet to work and it feels great!
I'm also swimming laps, everyday. I love to swim. It's so intense but it doesn't feel like a work out. By the end, my heart is beating out of my chest, I'm refreshed and I'm starving all day! Metabolism city.
I'm also getting a pretty nice starter tan, something I haven't had in quite sometime. When you have a baby, it's hard to plan all day activities outside. Now that I have a potty trained big kid, we find ourselves on the go whenever and wherever the wind may take us. It's awesome. I'm loving Caden's age right now.
The truth is, I've come to the conclusion that I hate intentional exercise. I hate working out. Hate it. Loathe it. Probably not good things for the wife of a gym manager to say, but I gotta be honest ;)
I'm happy to have found enjoyable, practical, everyday ways to get moving, feel healthy and enjoy life. The only problem is, I want to eat ALL the time! I feel like a growing teen again and I was 5'9 in the 7th grade so that's saying something! If anyone ever wants to join Caden and I for a walk or a dip in the apartment community pool, drop us a line!


1 comment:

Dana said...

A dip in the pool sounds lovely except swimsuits make me break out...in tears! ;-)