Saturday, April 14, 2007

Sweet Escape



I took this picture in May 2005.
My hometown of Green's Harbour, Newfoundland, Canada.
I miss it alot this week.
I mean look at it. Look how serene and peaceful it is. So many good times swimming in the ocean, fishing for conners off of the warf in the summer and ice pan jumping in the winters....I still can't believe we use to do that. Life was so much simpler then. I had so many 'spots' overlooking the North Atlantic that I could ride my bike to and escape everything. It took 45 minutes to drive to the nearest walmart or movie theatre..and even then that movie theatre only had one screen. The gas station was also a take-out food joint, a movie rental shop, a grocery store and a place to buy live bait for fishing. What Green's Harbour lacked in big business it made up for in beauty, tranquility and great people. We'd get together with friends and neighbours regularly for dinner and music and fun. We are 'people people', and I miss that alot. I miss the days of calling up a friend and saying, "We're making dinner, you wanna come over?" or, "I'm bored, lets go do something right now!" Or just plain dropping in on someone, uninvited but graciously greeted.
When did I all of a sudden have to start planning get-togethers 3 weeks in advance? It's a shame really.

Green's Harbour. Filled with love, gossip, nosey old neighbours who would fall out of a window trying to listen in on your conversation but would be the first to bring you a hot meal if you needed something to warm your belly.

This has been a crazy week, a complicated, stressful, cyclone of a week...Thankfully I'm able to bring myself back to one of my many sceneic spots, specifically a large cliff overlooking the horizon with nothing but orange, sun kissed water for as far as the eye can see and sometimes an iceburg in the distance if the season was right.
When I picture this I can escape the riggors of everyday life and get lost in it, if only for a moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, Kathy, I know I don't know you well, but you almost have me in tears... If you got through writing that without them you're a very strong person. I loved that about the 'bay' as they call it. I love how you could go to one store and fill up your tank, get milk, buy dog food, get screws and nuts, fabric, and fruit. So simple, so nosey, so many warm hearts. I know I am in CBS but it's not Robert's Arm... it's getting bigger here with less nosey people. Sometimes it's easier when everyone knows your business, because sometimes it's out of concern... not just to gossip... anyway, I think I will write a note about this on facebook. haha Thanks Kathy, for the little reminder... I will pray that this week will be better for you! ~Danielle

Rebecca said...

It is so nice isn't it? Enjoy re-living those moments! Its so nice just to pop by somewhere. Have a great day!

Rebecca