Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Grand Day

Today was a wonderful day. I think in an effort to hang onto it my mind is refusing to shut down and go to sleep.
Sometimes I forget how much I like my husband. I love him in every sense of the word but I also really like him...it's easy to forget just how much when the business of life keeps us from spending quality time together.
This morning I made enormous pancakes for all of us and then Jay and I headed into town. Amy graciously stayed behind and watched Caden all day which ended up being quite an adventure considering he laughed so much during a tickle fight that he threw up on the floor and then pointed to it and said, 'Uh-Oh.'
According to Amy it was gross and hilariously cute at the same time.
First, Jay and I hit the bowling alley. It seems as though a good bowling alley experience costs a small fortune these days, but having decided that money would not stress us out today, we bowled 3 games. My scores went from bad to worse while Jay did pretty well for himself. I am much better at bowling on the Wii then I am in real life.
We then headed to The Olive Garden for some yummy pasta and took a short detour to the motorcycle shop to drop Jay's bike off. Betsy needs new tires.
We stopped by the annex while killing time before a movie and then went to see my new favourite movie in the whole world, Once.
Honestly the best movie I have EVER seen. I recommend it to all. There are a few curse words, mostly at the beginging but the main guy is Irish so it kind of fits the character. Plus when you swear with a fun accent it really doesn't sound like swearing at all....either way it is a brilliant film with incredible music that is worth the price of admission.
Afterwards we still felt full from lunch, so we decided to do cheese and chocolate fondue at The Melting Pot. Mmmmmm....brownies dipped in chocolate....who could ask for anything more.
We couldn't get the incredible soundtrack from the movie out of our heads so we went to the mall to see if we could find it. Along the way we hit the pet store to see the puppies and noticed that the birds had slid open their cage door and were hopping out into the store. I went up and told a sales clerk who said, "WHAT!?!?!" and ran back to chase 6 birds all over the store. Clever little birds.
We found the soundtrack, Jay grabbed a coffee and I grabbed a chai tea and we headed home, listening to our new tunes the whole way back to C-ville.
I can't thank God enough for my marriage.
I remember praying every night for God to prepare my heart for my future husband and to prepare his heart for me. I had no idea he was 2000 miles away in a foreign land but God knew all along. After we met, our dating relationship was really difficult. Charlotte, NC to St. John's, NL is definitly a long-distance relationship. We spent months apart broken up by short one or two week visits here and there. When we got engaged everyone thought we were crazy. Afterall, we didn't really know eachother that well! But I had never been so sure of anything in my life. God gave me an incredible sense of peace and assurance that I was making the right choice and I've never, ever regretted it or wondered if it was His will. I don't mean to sound cliche or tacky, but we were very much made for eachother.
Our wedding was quiet, private, fun and relaxing just as I always wanted it to be. From the time I was a little girl I wanted to run off and get married in a private ceremony under the open sky and it couldn't have been more picture perfect.
Our marriage has been amazing and eventful to say the least but we've only grown closer as we change and evolve. Not many can say that they are married to their best friend and I never want to take that forgranted.
Becoming parents was a complete shock to our systems, given that neither of us was prepared for it, but little did I know at the time that it was the answer to my prayer, "God show me your will and purpose for my life."
Tonight I was telling Jay that somedays being a mom terrifies me...Before Caden I never spent any time with babies or toddlers and now I spend every minute of my time with a little man who is incredibly gifted and funny but has a temper much too big for his little frame to hold. There are days when I wonder whether I am doing anything right. As usual, Jay looked me in the eye and said all the right things. I don't know what I've done to deserve blessings like these.
Even though there are days when we're poor as church mice, I want for nothing.
I'm rambling...not to be showy but to testify of God's goodness to me...I'm overwhelmed by it and sometimes I have to pinch myself to convince myself it's real. Don't get me wrong, life is hard. For some reason people don't buy fitness equipment in Tallahasse from September til mid November and just like last year, we're going through a stressful season, but I believe I have learned how to be content with what I have...a concept that has taken me a while to grasp but I think i'm getting it now...at least at this moment I'm getting it.
So it's 12:37am and as much as I never want Sepetember 26th to end, September 27th won't be very good unless I rest my weary bones.
Today was a grand day.

1 comment:

The Secret of Happiness said...

I'm happy you're happy