Thursday, January 28, 2010

Kathy and the Anglicans

Sounds like a rock group.
I have really been enjoying my position at the Episcopal church. I keep brainstorming ways that I can stay on while not having to put a new born in childcare. After all, with the cost of new born care in Tallahassee, I'd probably spend more on that then my paycheck would allow.
I've worked for churches in the past...as a paid employee and as an equally hard working volunteer...and it's been interesting to see first hand the workings of a completely different congregation and pastoral group.
The Rev. I work for reminds me a lot of my Father. He is deep but tells very dry jokes. He's tall and thin with a pleasant demeanor. He is painfully moral...example, he was stopped speeding the other day and not only openly confessed to speeding but immediately thanked the police officer, telling him that was just what he needed because his speed has been creeping up everyday. The cop obviously let him go with a warning...after all, who says that?!
He has a deep concern for people and puts relationship above anything else on his calendar. I know this because it's my job to keep his calendar. He takes every new-comer to lunch and lays aside the business/politics of the church if it means coming to the aid of an individual. Even though there are over 1200 consistent attending members, he makes himself available for them. It's personal.
The congregants are incredibly dedicated. They are high society, upper class, lawyers, doctors and politicians and they are widows, homeless men and children...all volunteer to serve food, work with the children, drive the elderly, fold bulletins, etc. They work as though their working for the Lord and they are not only thanked but respected by the ones who depend on them. They serve and are inspired to serve by the building up they receive from their leadership. They are also givers. In light of the devastation in Haiti, they have united and collected incredible amounts of money to benefit those struggling there. They tithe and support the workings of their church. It's a beautiful mutualistic relationship.
It's been humbling for me to see. In staff meeting on Tuesday I commended them on their structure, their volunteerism and the way they treat their congregants. I told them I was blessed by their heart for God. They may praise with the organ and wear collars instead of jeans but I am recognizing that there is a place for that. It isn't for nothing.
In more modern churches, it's easy to look at the traditional church as though it is outdated and out of touch with the living God...it's easy to say they are just going through the motions...it's easy to mistake their quiet reverence for a lack of passion or realness. Needless to say, this has been an eye opening experience for me. A wrap on the knuckles for times when I assumed that if someone belong to this church or that church then they weren't a 'real' Christian. I'm loving what I am experiencing there and I am deeply moved by it. It isn't better or worse than any other denomination that puts the emphasis on loving God and one another, it's just one of them and it's nice to see. I'm being reminded to make 'the main thing the main thing'...that we can chose to be divided by our interpretation of scripture or united by our mutual love for God.
I'm really glad to be there during the week. I'm learning a lot. I'm growing.

2 comments:

ruby said...

Kathy, I know exactly where you are coming from, I did have a similar experience, through Lori, a few years ago when she was the paid organist at a church, She did learn a lot and things she told me opened my eyes, because I kinda had tunnel vision for my church. Keep up your writing..well said and may God bless you and yours.

Anonymous said...

We all need to experience and learn what you have spoken of in this post of your blog. When we do we will begin to tear down the walls of "denominational beliefs" that tend to divide the church of God.

We are all one body and we need to appreciate and understand this to be the church.