Sunday, January 24, 2010

Accountability

"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:1-2

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." Hebrews 10:24

"See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." Hebrews 3:12-13

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

The bible calls us to keep each other accountable. If you don't call yourself a Christian, then I won't challenge you to act like one....but if you do, and if I do, then we are called by God to speak loving truth into each other's lives and if necessary, set each other straight according to His word. This is a delicate process and should be approached with right intent and sensitivity.
Had God not mentioned the importance of accountability in His word, I probably would think it was a BAD idea, based on past experience. It rarely goes well, despite every effort I take to sugar coat, compliment and affirm my love and concern for the individual. Here's what I've learned:

- Some people just get older. What do I mean by this? Maturity is not reflected by the number of years a person has been alive but instead by what they have learned and applied during their time here. I've seen women twice my age, bash their husbands or ex-husbands openly on their facebook statuses with no awareness of how silly it makes them look. I've heard middle-aged men at Jason's gym act like complete morons in the presence of college girls, trying to impress them with their 'maturity' while acting like children. If you attempt to speak intelligent words into an immature persons life, don't expect them to act maturely about it. You can expect all kinds of reactions, but don't expect a 'thank you'. They aren't mature enough to recognize what you're doing or what your intentions are.

- Hurt people, hurt people. I am ever-so-cautious of people with a victim mentality. People with a victim mentality have been hurt, probably severely, and they hang onto their right to be miserable with both hands tightly clenched. They use their pain as an excuse for...well...just about everything. Un-forgiveness has eaten away at the person they once were and they don't like themselves very much anymore. They say that they've seen and experienced too much to be any other way, unable to grasp the fact that happiness is a choice. They have all kinds of physical ailments that have manifested from their emotional turmoil and they've known misery for SO long that they are scared to death of what life would look like should they stop feeling sorry for themselves. They indirectly hurt others and feel entitled to do so because of their own problems. They have become the center of their own world. If you try to hold someone like this accountable and lovingly correct some alarming patterns in their life, they will fire back with all the reasons why it's ok for them to be that way. They will make you feel guilty for bringing it up and they will add you to their list of oppressors. They will say you are 'judging' them and make you out to be a terrible person. You will become the punching bag for their misery for the time being, but you'll quickly be replaced by the person that didn't say 'hi' to them at the grocery store or the girl who teased them in the 7th grade. They always have to be upset with someone and when you attempt to keep them accountable, that person will be 'you'. Again, don't expect a 'thank you'.

- Matthew 7:6, "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Jesus said this about giving sound advice to people who won't hear it. It's hard to determine whether you should say something at all, and I think that's between you and God and the person, but Jesus (of course) was super awesome to highlight this point. You can exhaust and frustrate yourself trying to help someone but sometimes, like in the situations highlighted above, they aren't ready or receptive to hear it. It doesn't make what you're saying less right, it's just falling on deaf ears...that are attached to quick mouths...that will tear you to pieces if you're not careful.

- I won't be like that. I have learned that I want nothing more than to be open and receptive to advice and counsel that will help me to become a better person. I don't ever want to miss an opportunity to grow. I don't ever want to explode on someone who loved me enough to be honest with me. I want to recognize care when I see it. I know from experience that it's not easy to approach someone, when you're so imperfect yourself, and attempt to keep them accountable. If a person sees sin in my life and is brave enough to take me aside and say, "I love you but you need to hear somethings that may be difficult to hear," I want to be mature enough to say, "Thank you! You must really care about me." I want to fully examine my life to see if their advice applies. I want to humble myself and be willing to say, "you're right, can you help me get there?" or "I don't know if what you're saying really applies to me but thank you for loving me enough to say it."

Accountability is a tough but necessary equation in Christian community. If you ever find yourself in this situation, I don't envy you :) It's one of those prime examples where doing the right thing can feel really, really wrong based on the reaction you receive but don't allow the reaction to define the action. If you see destructive sin in a friend's life and you approach them with love to correct them, you're doing exactly what God has called you to do. After that, the ball is in their court.

No comments: