Wednesday, January 06, 2010

BUSY

Life is very busy these days. I've taken on a part-time job as the administrative assistant at a local episcopal church. It's been interesting to learn the ins and outs of the Anglican parish. There's a lot of verbiage, hierarchy and rituals involved...not to mention an extensive church history and liturgical calendar. The church building I work in is about 250 years old. The architecture is stunning. It's like a scene from a horror movie. Beautiful by day, terrifying by night. There is a life size carving of Jesus on the cross hanging in the chapel. It's seriously a 6 ft man, painted to resemble a real person. I think I may have let out a little squeal when I first saw it. It took me by surprise.
The work is busy which is good because it makes the day go by quickly...almost too quickly. I took over from a woman who was doing the job in 40 hours a week so now I'm trying to complete that same work load in half the time. It's challenging. I am suppose to work from 9-1 but everyday this week has started early in an effort to get things done and today I didn't get to leave until 4:30. Thankfully, the church has a full service cafe so I was able to grab some lunch.
Between the 25+ hours at the church, the 8+ hours a week I spend working at the restaurant and the 8 hours a week I spend volunteering at genesis between Sundays and Thursday night worship team practice, not to mention the laundry, dishes and other household garbage, it's been ridiculously hard to maintain the energy needed for my most important job: Wife and mom.
I don't believe that a woman (or man) can 'do it all'. You either do one thing at the expense of the other or vice versa. Thankfully, this job is temporary and I think financially it is very much a gift from God. It's a temporary position and they are wanting to hire someone full time on March 1. I declined the offer to stay on because I have no intention of putting a new born in daycare 30 seconds after he's born and I really want the month of March to focus on my pregnancy and my time with Caden and Jay. So in the midst of the craziness, the timing is perfect and the pay is good. I'm going to take a break from the piano bar after Valentines Day because 4 hours on a piano stool + a pregnant stomach = a very sore back. Plus, I feel like I never see my husband anymore and that's lame. Without him, I'm not me...at least I'm not the best me I can be. He works til 8 everyday of the week except for Friday...and on Friday he gets home at 5:30 and I kiss him goodbye at 6 to head into Georgio's. Ships passing in the night. Thankfully, we have Sunday evenings together and it's my favourite night of the week.
Caden hasn't adjusted great to me not being around in the mornings but he is fortunate to be able to stay home with Daddy til about 10-11 and then go into the childcare room at the gym 'til I pick him up. Ms. Autumn has been a godsend, staying with him a little longer when traffic is heavy and this afternoon she made herself available to watch him all afternoon. She's one of those people that gives you faith in the goodness of humanity :)
So, if I'm not posting with regularity it's because I'm trying to catch up on something else but I'll try and write whenever I can. It keeps me relatively sane after all, and my sanity is not something I can afford to lose right now. Much too busy :)

1 comment:

tallymom-dad said...

Take time to breath at the traffic lights. I learned while Steve was hospitalized for 72 days in 2007 to enjoy the short breaks at traffic lights - they were Selah moments with God.

I know that sounds warped but traffice lights helped me to appreciate even the 2-3 minutes of being in idle mode.