Saturday, August 29, 2009

Homesick...

I'm very homesick right now...maybe it's because I realize how difficult it will be to travel home with two children...maybe it's because I know my annual trip next summer probably won't happen...maybe it's because I really miss cold weather...maybe it's because a part of me has never really left Newfoundland...
It's such a wonderful place. I wish everyone could have the chance to see it, breathe it in and experience it's wonder for themselves...I sometimes feel weird saying that I'm from Canada...Newfoundland is so different than the rest of the country.
I miss my parents. They are incredible grandparents...it feels wrong to have their grandbabies so far from them. I miss my friends there. I miss being able to speak in my dialect and not have people tell me I'm mumbling too quickly for them to understand me. I miss St. John's. I love that city. Such a unique blend of history and art, Irish/English/Newfoundland cultures converging, awesome music and downhome living. I miss scampers. I miss St. John's harbour, even when it smells. I miss hot tea being the norm after supper.
I miss the NTV evening news with Lynn Burry and Fred Hutton. I miss having the top story be, 'A moose was found wandering through a local cemetery in Mount Pearl this evening.'
I miss a simpler way of life...I miss it a lot today.

1 comment:

mom said...

I just read this blog and it rips my heart our to know you are unhappy. I can only tell you we have almost all been there. When I worked in Toronto for ten years I would pretend I was smelling the salt air from a north west gale. This will pass but it will never go away. Your emotions are raw now due to pregnancy so just remember you are only a day away and nothing is impossible (God bless you my child) from God and mom