Friday, October 12, 2007

Sooner or Later....


Every Boy needs to say goodbye to his pacifier...
Last night Georgia babysat for us and when it came time for bed, he went down without his pacifier. It was sitting on the highchair when I got home and I knew it was time to start breaking him of it. I didn't have a problem when I took his bottle away. I didn't cry at his first birthday party...but for some reason I look at taking his paci as being the end of babyhood. He always had that thing in his mouth, those ginormous paci's that take up his entire lower face...it's like his trademark. Lately he has been using it less and less...only for sleep and in the car but I always said he wasn't ready to loose it yet. I think the truth is that I'm not ready for him to loose it yet.
So we're going cold turkey, with no explanation and no mention of the P-A-C-I. I don't want to torture him by throwing it in the trash, cutting it up or letting it float into the air on a hellium balloon as a way of saying goodbye. I'm going with the out of sight, out of mind method and so far, it's working.
I just put him down for his first nap without it and I haven't heard a peep. I guess this is going to be easier than I thought.
Thankfully Georgia did the hardest part and put him down for his first night without it, and he slept all through the night. Thanks Georgia. I am SO thankful for that...cause I probably would have given it to him until he was 14.
I haven't thrown it away though...I don't think I can. I'll just have to keep it well hidden until he no longer remembers how much he loves it, then I'll find a way to put it in his baby book...that might make for a bulky book but I don't care...This is definitly a milestone in his baby life.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I think that's pretty amazing that he is being weened now... I'm afraid to use a pacifer with Emerson because I'm afraid she will be 6 years old, starting school, and still using it! Good luck with that!