Thursday, November 19, 2009

Untitled

I've started and deleted about 5 different blog posts today...I can't seem to articulate what it is I want to say, even though I feel the itch to write.
A lot has been happening lately. Being alone for an entire week gave Jay and I some much needed time to talk, dream, pray and figure out what it is that we want and what we believe God wants for us.
Here's what I'm learning in recent months/weeks/days/hours/minutes:
- God is bigger than my understanding and there are some things I will never know about Him...and that's OK. To act or walk about as if I have Him all figured out is to arrogantly miss out on the beauty of Him. A god that can be dissected and figured out is no god at all.
- I believe that there are moments when God calls us to do specific things and moments when He has equipped us to make choices on our own. Love your neighbour? Specific call from God. Move to another state? May or may not be a specific call. It may not matter as long as you plan on being His hands and feet once you get there.
- I trust Him and that is a choice. There have been a lot of things happening in my life this week that have required me to CHOSE to stop being afraid, nervous and cynical and to trust that He is good regardless. Some days I make that choice once and it sticks...other days I make that choice 100 times...but I will keep choosing it.
- I married a miracle. Seriously. My husband is living proof that God can infiltrate a human heart and radically change a man. I am so grateful that my children have him as a father. They will be better people for it. I can honestly say that I would follow that man anywhere and everywhere he leads me because I believe he is a Godly man. I trust God therefore I trust his son, Jay. It's a great chain reaction.
- Things are not as black and white as we have made them...I believe that we (you and I) can't determine who will be in Heaven based on whether or not they fit in the Christian mold that the Western church has created for the typical 'Christian' to look like. I believe that we spend too much time focusing and arguing about theology. A good friend of mine has recently challenged me to simply love God and love people and not to worry about all the other stuff. I think my friend might be onto something...
- I believe that God is good regardless of the fact that my cousin may die this week...I hate what her family is going through and that her 6 year old daughter will grow up without a mother...there is no beauty in this situation and it's hard to fathom any good coming from it...but perhaps because of this, that 6 year old will grow up with a passionate desire to find a cure for cancer or work with cancer patients and she will change the lives of hundreds, maybe thousands of people...I don't know...all I know is that God's heart is breaking right along with her husband's, parent's and loved one's.
- My trials are small in comparison to others. I grew up with a boy who is now in jail. He's a good man and I can't begin to understand how he must feel right now. All I know is that I would lose a house any day of the week over losing my marriage, my freedom, my children, my health....stuff is stuff...if you can put a price tag on it, it's not worth stressing about.

3 comments:

sarah jewett clarke said...

all true. good stuff.

Dana said...

So true. Great post, Kathy!

jny said...

I absolutely, positively, completely agree with your point about not fitting into the "Christian mode." We need to get back to the very basics. "Love God and love people." 'Nuff said.