Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Injection Rejection

There's been a lot of talk about the H1N1 virus and the flu vaccine this season. Some, like mainstream doctors and nurses, are hardcore advocates for the vaccine and have received it themselves...others, like chiropractors and those who practice more natural forms or medicine, are strongly against it.
A nurse at my primary doctors office told me that I HAD to get the swine and regular flu vaccine because I'm pregnant. My chiropractor passionately begged me, "Don't you dare put that poison in your body."
I've done hours of reading and research on the subject...I'm not a health care professional and I'm not a flu vaccine expert....nor am I a passionate 'anti-vaccine' hippie...but here's where I stand:

The Swine Flu: It is not the black plague and it is not polio. It's the flu...a nasty one. I have had several friends who have already had it, nursed it and pulled through it in the same way they would a regular bout of the seasonal flu. The seasonal flu has actually killed 5 times the amount of people since January than the swine flu has...and since it's first appearance, the swine flu has weakened significantly and many doctors are advising people that the regular flu is much more dangerous at this point. If you get the flu, rest, drink plenty of liquids and don't hesitate to go to the ER for fluids, if needed. That's what I'll be doing should I come down with one of the dozen strains of flu going around...swine flu being one of them.

My experience: I have never had a flu vaccine. Caden has had two. Both times, he became seriously ill within 24 hours. High fever, vomiting and a respiratory infection that lasted for 2 weeks, BOTH times. My pediatrician claims there's no possible way the flu vaccine caused that to happen and it must have just been 'coincidence'. No one took a second to even considering that maybe he has an allergy to something in the vaccine cocktail. Their lack of concern for his history with flu shots caused me to second guess the information they were giving me. He has not had a flu shot in 2 years and he has done really well. He's gotten sick from time to time, but never as sick as he was after the flu shots. He's a good eater and eats a pretty balanced diet, causing him to bounce back quickly from bugs when they get into his system. He reacted perfectly fine to other vaccinations but I will never inject him with another flu vaccine of any kind again. The benefits don't out weight the risks in his particular case. Some kids do great with it, he does not. There is something in that shot that makes him brutally ill...and I'm not going to infect my baby with a dangerous illness for a THIRD time. He's been thriving and doing wonderfully since we stopped the flu shot regimen and we'll continue to eat well, wash our hands and be smart about our health and safety.


What I've learned: I respect and have benefited greatly from chiropractics and unconventional forms of medicine. I am slow to medicate myself, pregnant or not. I just don't like using medication to solve pain or problems. Six months after having Caden, my back had reached a point where it was completely twisted, a disc was out of place and I was in constant, chronic pain. I'm talking pain. P-A-I-N. I couldn't sneeze without bracing myself, I couldn't lower my baby into his crib, I was miserable and knew there was something wrong. I went to my primary physician who told me, "I'll give you something for pain." I asked if we were going to do xrays or tests to see what was wrong and he assured me the pills would take care of everything. I was so irritated and asked for a referral for a chiropractor. He gave me one and said, "If that doesn't work for you, come back and I'll prescribe you something."
Long story short, I went to the chiropractor and through natural manipulation and ARP therapy, my pain level has gone from a 9 out of 10 to a 1. Completely changed the quality of my life, literally REPAIRED my injury, all without surgery, injections or drugs that would have completely damaged my liver and organs if taken from the age of 22 til who knows when...
All that to say, I believe that doctors are amazing people but they can be wrong...I also believe that (especially in America) they are quick to offer medication and surgeries as the ultimate solution to problems in order to profit) when nutrition and proper body care are safer and more effective.
Every person I have questioned in the chiropractic community have urged me to say 'no' to the flu vaccine and I greatly respect their opinions and knowledge. I'll be talking to my OBGYN next week about my concerns but having learned a lot already on my own, I doubt my convictions will subside.

The H1N1 vaccine has no evidence of safety in pregnancy. In America, the mercury and preservative free versions are too expensive for me to obtain. I've never had a flu shot so I have no idea how it would effect me...I am very sensitive to medication and I fear the vaccine making me more sick than the flu itself (which was the case with Caden). Also, the H1N1 vaccine has polysorbate 80 which is linked with infertility and countless other dangerous preservatives like the regular flu shot...if I want to be preserved to that degree, I'll just go drink formaldehyde :)

As far as the regular flu shot goes, Jay has already received his. He received a shot with a combination of 3 vaccines however there are more than 10 flu strains going around. Receiving the flu shot has lowered his risk of contracting the flu by only 33%. Being pregnant, I'm VERY conscious of the medications I put into my body (I have a headache right now and still won't take a Tylenol because it's better to be safe than sorry) so the benefits of the flu vaccine aren't worth the risks for me and the unborn baby.

I am boosting my immune system by receiving regular chiropractic adjustments, taking my vitamins, eating properly, avoiding germ infested public places, receiving prompt and proper pre-natal care and washing my hands like a crazy. Now, my husband works in a health club and my roommate works in a day care so between the two of them, I'm sure many germs will make their way into our house...but if I contract the flu in spite of my efforts, I still won't regret not getting the flu vaccine. I have done a lot of research, I've prayed, I've talked with the medical personnel who have been proven to make my life better with their knowledge and services, I've read for hours about what's in the shot and how effective it is and I have to do what I believe is right for my body and my kids.

In closing: Although I greatly respect and support the chiropractic community (they seem to know more about the connectivity and function of the human body than any GP I've ever gone to) I don't jump on the band wagon with everything my chiropractor says...most chiro's believe that routine vaccinations are linked with autism and recommend against any and all vaccines for babies...I don't believe there is enough evidence supporting that...(however in the H1N1 vaccine, there is an additive that is directly linked with autism). I'm not anti-vaccination...but when it comes to my kids and my experience, I'm 100% anti-flu shot.
Still, Jay got one and I'm happy to say, he's fine...I don't think he's anymore safe from the flu than I am at this point (considering he just called and said he thinks he's coming down with something...great...) but he had no (immediate) adverse effects.
24 hours after BOTH of Caden's flu shots, his lungs filled with fluid to the point of him vomiting from trying so hard to breathe. Frankly, I'd be a complete idiot to do that to him again.
If I contract the flu, I will take optimal care of myself and not hesitate to go to the ER for fluids and treatment...and I won't be embarrassed or regretful of my decision not to vaccinate...I know I could get it...I just believe, at this point, after much research and conviction, that the vaccine is just as unsafe (or more so) than the flu itself...so why chose one when I could possible avoid the other altogether? People need to remember the importance of diet, proper nutrition, exercise and general smart and safe practices like hand washing...these are your safest defenses against any contractible illnesses.

My Advice: You need to find a medically minded individual you've had positive history with, whom you trust, who is informed and unbiased and seek their advice. There's too much propaganda from both sides out there and I don't trust anything I see on TV anymore..particular television shows like 'The Dr's' or others that stand to greatly profit from the mass sale of vaccinations.
At the end of the day, you need to weigh the pros and cons for your family. Based on my personal experience with Caden and the flu vaccine, I would be knowingly harming him by giving it to him again. Someone elses experience might be different.
Unfortunately, there isn't enough testing being done to determine that risk beforehand...and personally, Russian roulette isn't a game I'd recommend with children.

I hope everyone does their research and feels at peace with whatever decision they reach for themselves and their families.

7 comments:

Dana said...

I agree that you should do your own research and make a decision yourself. I never allow a doctor to make a decision for me and have actually gone against their advice when I think that they are wrong.

Anonymous said...

My doctor hates to see me coming because I come armed with information. I'm not a patient that swallows evrthing hook, line and sinker.

I'm the one who recognized that I wasn't Bi-Polar; that I had been misdiagnosed due to a whacked out Thyroid Gland. Thyroid Gland issues taken care of and Bi-Polar symptoms magically disappear.

The doctors began to pay attention to me after that fiasco.

Lisa said...

Very interesting post, Kathy! I really enjoy reading your blogs - when is your book going to be released?

Dr. Troy Murray said...

Hi Kathy....Very nice blog on a very important health issue. I am a practicing Chiropractor in Texas. I am 52 years old and I have not had but one flu vaccination in the last 35 years and the one time that I did I had the worst case of flu that I have ever had. Typically I can just get rest, drink lots of fluids, and get regular adjustments and I get over the flu when I rarely get it. Usually it will run it's course with a week or so. I WILL not take the swine flu vaccine for sure. I have six children and they do not get the vaccine either and never have had a serious case of flu.

Kathy said...

Thanks to everyone for your input and information. Dr. Murray, thanks for chiming in! I have great respect for your line of work and have benefitted greatly from chiropractic care. I am always open to new info and am not ashamed to change my mind, but as of now, I am not jumping on the flu vaccine band wagon.

Lisa - The book will be out in April! Very excited! Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

My child came home from school saying that they learned to cough and sneeze into their elbow with Germy Wormie, and I was totally taken aback. I always covered with my hands. But I went to the website and now I get it, hands touch, elbows don't!! Kids can touch 300 surfaces in 1/2 hour and they hate to wash their hands. This is a simple thing that can make a huge difference (and a vaccination is not required!). There is also an entertaining DVD that teaches them in a fun way the elbow cough, as well as other important hygiene habits.

Kathy said...

Good point. Teaching kids proper germ avoidance is key...as well as making sure they are receiving balanced nutrition...even when Caden won't eat his vegetables, I sneak a serving into him by giving V8 fushion juice...tastes like fruit juice but contains a full serving of veggies.
Maintaining safe contact with the world around us and filling our bodies with nutrients is the best way to avoid flus, virus' and bacteria.