Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Brink of a Miracle

Growing up in a traditional, Newfoundland, Salvation Army church, we use to sing a chorus during the Sunday night, 4 hour testimony time called, "Don't give up, you're on the brink of a miracle."

Melodically, this song is the equivalent of a cat in a blender but the lyrics are lovely. I didn't recognize that when I was teenager because I was too distracted, trying to play piano in the midst of dueling accordions but lately, the lyrics (not the tune) of that song have been running through my head.

I've shared in some detail the situation Jason and I have faced with a property we own in Wakulla County, Florida. Long story short, we bought our first house in 2007, went through one devastating financial blow after another (for which we were not prepared) and after a year of trying to sell the house before losing it, we moved out this past February, knowing that we wouldn't be able to afford the payment in March. We didn't believe it was right to stay in a house we weren't paying for so we moved out in an attempt for it to show better and sell quickly.

Housing prices in our area have greatly declined in the past two years so the same property is worth about $40,000.00 less than what we bought it for. Having no money for lawn equipment or services, we haven't been able to maintain the property very well. Due to no one living in the house, the fence surrounding it has received a bit of vandalism. We have to pay utilities out there because the house needs electricity and A/C for the realtor to show it effectively. Paying utilities in both places has been annoying and draining but we're doing everything we can to rectify this issue and resolve our debt. At the end of the day, that's how we sleep well at night.
We enlisted the help of a real estate company that explained to us that a short sale was our only option short of foreclosure and knowing full well what we were getting into, we went ahead and listed the house for less than we owe in hopes of getting a decent offer.

We got that decent offer, much better than expected, in June while we were home in Newfoundland. We were overwhelmingly grateful, sure that this was our deliverance. The buyer held on throughout the long, short sale process but at the beginning of this month we received the news: The buyer backed out. We didn't blame them. We would have too.

The house was placed back on the market, now looking much shabbier than ever before. Because the offer we had received was so good, it was unlikely that the bank would accept anything less than that and we were convinced no one would come close to offering that amount again. We received a letter informing us that the house will cease to be insured in January unless we pay an astronomical policy out of pocket, which won't be able to happen.

I also got a phone call yesterday, confirming our address because 'important papers' needed to be delivered to myself and Jason. Here we go. It's happening...
Jay and I have been talking, praying and working through this situation for a long time and I can honestly say that I really like the people we've become throughout it. I know that's weird, because I don't like the process...but if we had to go through this to grow the way we've grown...I'd do it again.

Last night we talked for hours about everything...about how confident we are in the decisions we've made for our family (after the stupid ones we made :) coupled with blows we couldn't have predicted. Our priorities are in check.
We were sitting outside of Starbucks, talking about the house when I got a lump in my throat...that only happens when I picture Caden's room...I just want someone else to own the house and re-paint it, change the locks and make it theirs...I don't want it to be mine anymore. Jay took my hand and said what I've known all along but needed to hear again, "Kathy, it's just a house."

At the same time 'His eye is on the sparrow' was playing on the Starbucks radio...

This morning I woke up and began to pray about life...I prayed for my friends, I prayed for my family, I prayed that my parents would live a really long time, that my hurting friends would find comfort, that my unsaved friends and family would find Christ...I prayed that the sick would be healed, that my children would love God and be set apart for Him. Then I said, "If I need to go through bankruptcy to become the woman You want me to be, bring it on...but if it is Your will, I pray for a miracle."

Jay came home this evening asking if our 'special papers' had arrived today...they hadn't...but then the phone rang.
Jay spoke with someone for a few moments, thanked them, assured them that we'd 'get it to them right away' and hung up the phone. It was our realtor...

We got another offer on the house TODAY.

"How much?" I asked...knowing that it couldn't be as good as the first but worried the bank wouldn't accept anything lower.
"It's the same as the first." Jay answered, bewildered.

Don't give up, you're on the brink of a miracle.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think this is a done deal...I know the bottom could fall out, I know they could walk away, I know the bank may move too slowly again...but at least it's possible...more possible today than it was yesterday...more possible this evening than it was this morning. That reminder is enough. God is good.

These buyers have specified that they want to close by November 30th, which if this happens then Happy Thanksgiving to Us...but if this bubble bursts and we end up getting those 'special papers' after all, it doesn't change that my Father is a God of miracles and that He is good...and I will praise Him for the woman I will become and the lessons I've learned throughout this entire thing.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me

1 comment:

jny said...

Way to keep your chin up. :]