Friday, March 06, 2009

Martha needs some Mary Time

I've been feeling a lot like Martha these days. I've been wearing myself out, unpacking, moving furniture, working at night and playing with Caden in the day. I hate having things in boxes so I've pretty much unpacked all of our belongings in record time. This includes hanging all the pictures, arranging furniture, hanging curtains and installing shelving...phew. I'm pooped.
Tuesday I hit a wall. I had been working so hard...unpacking the new place, cleaning up the old place...Tuesday afternoon I lay on the bed for a second to catch my breath and woke up 30 minutes later. I never do that. I'm not a napper (unless it's Sunday) and I felt groggy and unable to function for the remainder of the day. It was a somewhat defeating day from start to finish...I went to work that night feeling exhausted but excited because the place was packed with Florida senators and mayors in town for session...I thought that would mean big money...but they seemed less than interested in me and I only made 15 bucks in tips, all from one guy sitting in the corner, grooving to the tunes the entire night. I thanked him and as soon as he left, so did I.
The lack of money in the tip jar ruffled my feathers a little bit until I realized how amazing my job is regardless of what I get paid and I repented for my selfishness. I have a job I love when so many can't find work and I get to be with my son the majority of the time on top of it. The pity party was quickly fleeting.
It takes me about 8 minutes to get to work now. Amazing. Jay has been coming home for lunch each day and is in the door 3 minutes after leaving the office each afternoon. It's incredible, the freedom and gift of time this move has given us.
Yesterday, I looked around and realized that we were settled into a new place and I had a mini-panic attack about the house...Did we do the right thing? What if it doesn't sell? What if it doesn't pass an inspection? when is the bank going to start calling?
I had to go in my closet, lay on the floor and pray over and over, "I need your peace, I need your peace..."
He gave it to me...He always does...I know we did the right thing and although it's not what we would have planned, we're being open, honest and smart about our situation, faithful with our money and trusting in the Almighty.
I know God blesses that.
I picked up a book that I had started a few months ago called, "The Shack" and started reading it again. It's pretty amazing. To those who have heard ignorant comments made about it being a sac-religious and un-biblical piece of literature, just pick it up and read it. No one is saying it's the gospel, but it is incredibly insightful and a beautiful story, challenging the close mindedness of western Christianity's stereo-types.
What little I got to read during Caden's nap time calmed my spirit.
Today, I re-arranged the living room, unpacked the rest of Caden's room, did three loads of laundry, washed the dishes, went for a walk, took Caden out for a bike ride on his new wheels, found some more songs for my piano bar library and finished off the birthday cake.
What Caden doesn't know won't hurt him ;)
In this moment, I am sitting and enjoying the quiet...that is until Caden wakes up which should be in about 5 mins. Quiet is something I don't get much of with all the hustle and bustle. Having a toddler that talks without ceasing at a volume that everyone on the planet can hear makes these quiet moments that much more serene.
I'm taking a few minutes off from being a Martha to be a Mary...and as soon as I click 'publish post' I'll start to fold the clothes ;)

No comments: