Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Love My Church

Getting there is difficult, living 40 minutes into the country with one car, a toddler and a husband who works on Sundays. Set up and tear down is taxing and draining. Sometimes the smoke makes it hard to see and the intelligent lighting system hurts my eyes...I can take or leave the production side of things. The stage props are a great touch, but they aren't what keeps me coming back.
I don't need perfectly worded bulletins, elaborate productions, cutting edge video, funky symbols and an ambient setting...although I'm aware of the purpose each thing serves.
The church I love are the individuals who sharpen me, comfort me, make me laugh, let me cry and help me to be a better person for myself, my family and my God.
People who don't judge me when I question, who value my gifts and the authenticity I display when I use them, who ask me how I am and really want to know the answer.
People who love my Son and help me raise him to love God, others and music.
People who make me laugh hysterically at everything...including myself.
People who teach me without making me feel like I'm stupid.
People who just get it...and who make me feel less alone.
I had a really great day at church today, which I knew was going to happen because I didn't want to go this morning. I was dragging my feet, showed up 20 minutes late and honestly didn't care that I wasn't on time...I was sleepy with a tinge of a bad attitude.
That's always how it works. When I am not in the mood to be there I end up having a life changing experience.
There were some powerful moments in the service but for me, today wasn't about the atmosphere, the mood, the music or even the speaking (although all were top notch).
It was the people. It was in them that I felt God's presence.
I am so thankful for my friends.
I Love My Church.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog made me really happy. I'm glad to have you as my friend too! I'm glad you're authentic - the world needs more people like you.

Anonymous said...

SWEET POST! I love my people, too!

Anonymous said...

Kathy. You're so gay.