Thursday, February 07, 2008

Smooth Criminal

Today I received my 4th traffic violation since moving to Crawfordville, less than a year ago.
Let me recap:

Random Monday in April: Was stopped in a road block while looking like total doo doo, wearing the clothes I had worn to bed the night before while frantically trying to find somewhere to dump festering garbage that was in my trunk. My offense was not having my lisence on me and the fine was 7 dollars.

Later that summer: Was stopped for speeding by the same cop that stopped me in April. He remembered me because I was Canadian. He let me off for speeding, but gave me a 70 dollar fine for not having my current address on my lisence.

The next day: Was stopped for speeding again. Different cop this time though, thank goodness. After a 10 minute conversation about child car seat safety, he went back to his vehicle, noticed my 'priors', and came back laughing to the car saying, "So, how many times have you been stopped this week?"
He said I seemed nice so he let me off with a warning...and he said next time I WILL get a ticket.

Fast forward to this afternoon: Was stopped for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Does anyone really come to a complete stop if there's nothing coming? Honestly...
Anyway, I slowed down and looked left and nothing was coming so I went ahead and drove onward...then I saw him on the right. I knew I was going down, so as soon as I saw him turning around in my rearview I pulled over. He was about my age and very friendly. He told me why he was stopping me and I said, "I know. I totally didn't stop."
He said, "Wow, you're the only one today who admitted to knowingly running a stop sign."
We laughed, he took my info, I waited...wondering what he would think of my 'record'. I reminded God that I could not afford a ticket and apparantly God agreed because he came back and handed me my warning, sending me on my merry way.

I wonder Caden's childhood memories will seem like one big COPS episode?

3 comments:

Paula said...

Too funny!!! Darn those stop signs....I am guilty of doing the same thing.

Anonymous said...

too funny...good thing you gave up the cocaine...because then Caden's life would have been on COPS

Stephanie said...

you are one lucky lady... or maybe just one extremely charming lady...