Friday, April 11, 2008

What Can I Do?

My heart and eyes are being opened lately to some horrific injustices in the world. Maybe it's because Jay and I have become addicted to the documentary channel...maybe it's because American Idol came on with their 'Idol Gives Back' show. I don't know.
I'm increasingly disgusted with the misuse of world funding. Why is it ok for some people to have kabillions of dollars while others barely make 30 bucks a year while battling AIDS? I guess no one can control how much one person makes or how much they give...that would be communism (which I don't support) but it's amazing to me that preventable diseases go untreated, orphans have to make it on their own in mud huts with no food, women and children are raped and murder in the streets with no protection....all because of where they were born.
It's upsetting.
Why was I chosen to be born into a free land where excellent medical care is given freely to anyone who needs it, where school is not only a priveledge but legally required, where as a teenage girl I could ride my bike, go for walks and enjoy life without the fear of being attacked by a murderous gang. When I was a kid I complained about how boring it was, but now that I am more aware I realize that Green's Harbour, Newfoundland, Canada was one of the best places on the planet to grow up.
On one hand I am incredibly thankful...on the other I feel really guilty that I have it so easy.
I guess I'm just confused as to what I can do with this new awareness. Sponsor a child, begin giving regularly to a charity I believe in (although I'd rather cut out the middle man and give directly to the need). I have to do something besides writing blogs about it. Words don't feed the hungry.
In the meantime I can't under estimate the power of prayer. When I start thinking that the problem is much bigger than I am, I remember God is much bigger than the problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

prayer is of course the first place we should start. Also, check out this organization some of my friends started. The often offer practical and cheap was that you can enact change.
thelovealliance.net