Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Life is What YOU Make it

I'm very inspired by the people I see around me who are taking their lives into their hands and not settling. The parents I see going back to school and getting that degree they said they never could,those opening up businesses they've always dreamed of opening but never had the guts to start. I'm only 24 years old but there have been times when I've told myself my options are limited and my time has passed to acheive certain things....then I read an article about a 75 year old man who was in grade 2, getting the education he missed out on and always thought he wouldn't have...I love people and stories that inspire.
It's taken me a while to figure out what I want to do...which passions I want to persue as a career and what passions I want to devote free time to. I'm very happy with how life is right now but I finally have some plans as to what I can see myself doing in the next couple of years...when Caden is in school fulltime and doesn't need me as much as he does now.
Going back to work was a big step for everyone in the Stock house. Caden had to adjust to school, Jay had to adjust to me not being around all the time on the home front and I had to adjust to life in the real world again. So far, Caden LOVES school and is so much healthier socially, Jay has become much more helpful around the house and cherishes the days when it's just Caden and Daddy, and I LOVE my job...the routine of having somewhere to be but the flexibility of being with my kid. God is good.
The skin care boutique where I freelance has been very inspirational too. One woman's desire and passion produced an adorable and classy business where women walk in feeling one way and walk out feeling much better. It's amazing what a good eyebrow waxing or make up job can do for the self-esteem...and I'm not saying that be sarcastic..I really mean it!
There was a long period in my life where I put no thought into my appearance because I was ashamed of being overweight. I'm glad that I developed a good personality and sense of humour and didn't depend on my looks to acheive things, but sometimes I still think I'm that 200 pound girl in the 11th grade. (Please don't make fun of me Dave :)
I'm proud of myself for taking my health into my hands and loosing the weight in a sensible way yet underneath the sense of humour still lies a girl with little confidence and a poor self image. Thankfully, I'm learning through the examples of strong people how to seize the day and realize my potential. I don't want to teach my child that he won't be able to do certain things and the best way to teach him to love God, love people and achieve his goals is to do all of the above myself.
There is nothing more sad then someone who hates their work, hates their situation and tells themselves their stuck in it.
I'm excited for Jay and I. We've got some plans in the works...nothing immediate, but good things take time...and then great things will come all at once.

No comments: