Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Pause

I wish my life had a pause button sometimes. I especially wished this yesterday when I was at St. George Island with my family. Jay is on vacation this week which is much needed considering he hasn't taken a whole weeks vacation in the 4 years we've been married. Yesterday we packed up and went to beach for the day. I was imagining that Caden would be difficult and cranky in the sun and that I wouldn't get much time to relax, but it turned out to be such a rejuvinating time for everyone. This was the first time we'd taken Caden to a really nice beach, one with big waves and alot of white sand, and I think it had a very calming effect on him. He sat on the towel with me playihng and laughing for hours. He splashed in the water and was amazed by the seashells.
Meanwhile Jay acted like a ten year old on the boogie board and had the best time catching the waves and wiping out in them. I was sitting on the towel with Caden, watching Jason splash around and I felt so completely at home and so completely happy. I watched months of stress about money and work fade from Jay's face and he was just having 100% pure fun.
I played the bongos with Caden on the tupperware containers we brought our snacks in and laughed hysterically as he yelled at the seagulls.
I love the ocean, but the beauty of the beach and shore pale in comparison to the beauty of my family. I am an overwhelmingly blessed woman.
Today Caden is a cranky pants. We ran some errands and now we're home. My back hurts, I have a bit of a burn from yesterday and I was begining to become a bit of a cranky pants myself, so I came into the office to recap on the joys of the beach.
As I'm typing, Jay and Caden are in the other room playing chase, screaming and laughing at the tops of their lungs and I'm realizing that every single day is coated with joy and fun...I just need to choose to find it.
Now if you'll excuse me I have a tickle fight that I need to join in...

4 comments:

Johnny said...

Very nice post.

It's good to hear about a family stopping to enjoy one another.

I took the boys camping a week and a half ago, and we had such a great time. Even though it was hard to fall asleep in the tent, we were all just happy to be there.

We made a camp fire, grilled hotdogs on straightened out clothes hangers, made Smores, went fishing, and spent some real quality male bonding time together.

Your post helped me to remember that great weekend that after just a week and a half of the grind, I have nearly forgotten.

Blessings,
Johnny

Cathy said...

Kathy,
Just wanted to tell you that I think you are an amazing wife and mom! Thank you so much for being you! You are such a blessing in my sons life. We love you so much.
Love,
Mom

Dana said...

Can we PLEASE be warned if we need a Kleenex in hand? I'm tearing up here, my crazy friend!

Anonymous said...

glad I could play a part in providing this time off. you all deserve it. to bad at suck at being a salesman.