Saturday, May 12, 2007

My Mother's Day Card

My family can be the first to attest to my slacker-like ways when it comes to birthdays, anniversaries and any holiday besides Christmas. I usually don't do anything for anyone, and if I do by a card, I never mail it in time. The amount of sealed cards addressed to family that reside in my junk drawer is ridiculous.
For mother's day this year I was on the ball. I sent a card to my mother about 2 weeks ago along with a box full of MK products. Proud of myself, I was certain that this time I was gonna get it right.
Monday morning I come home from Walmart with Caden and there's the mother's day package I had sent my mom, sitting on my step.
The label read "CANNOT SEND INTERNATIONALLY DUE TO HAZARDOUS MATERIALS!"
Who knew Satin hands and facial moisturizer were considered hazerdous....
So my attempts to be on the ball for Mother's Day failed miserably. Since we STILL don't have internet access at home, I decided to steal Jay's work computer for a few moments to express just how I feel about my mom.

They say that when you have a child you begin to have a new found appreciation for your mom. I disagree. I have always appreciated her. Since having Caden I am a little irritated with her. After all, she is the most amazing mom. She is a pillar of sacrifice, love, kindness and patience. She sacrificed her career and some of her sanity :) to be home with my sister and I, playing Barbies, dress up, judging colouring contests and baking endless loaves of homemade bread. We didn't have alot of money, but we never did without anything. I always had a new dress for the Christmas concert and the best halloween costumes that she worked tirelessly to create on the sewing machine downstairs. I remember her always making me feel like I was smart and unique and that I could be anything that I wanted to be. She never treated me like an annoying little kid, when I'm sure I was from time to time. I always felt validated and loved.
I remember being about 4 or younger, and I had this little blanket that I would try to spread out on the floor without getting any wrinkles in it. I would grab the ends and lift it up, hoping that it would land in a perfect square on the living room carpet. I tried over and over until finally it worked! It was perfect! I ran to mom who was on the phone to show her my masterpiece and she showed an equal amount of enthusiasm, as though I had just teleported or found the cure for cancer. I have a million more memorable moments of love and fun with my mom, but I think about that one whenever I see Caden proudly showing me how he can drum with a spatula or how funny he can be when he puts a shoe on his head. I want him to feel as special as I did.
Mostly, my mother loved (and still loves) life and she modeled that for me everyday. She taught me how to be happy. How to be positive. How to be a Christian wife and mother. She taught me that money and things pale in comparison to time and love, to order your life according to God and then family and to do the best with what you have and to thank God for it.
So why am I annoyed with her? Because now that I am a mother, I have such an incredibly high standard to live up to! If she could have been a little less involved, a little less caring, a little less creative...I wouldn't feel so much pressure! I guess I just have to do my best and if I can be half the mom to Caden as she was to me then he will be one blessed boy.
Happy Mother's Day mom. I miss you and I love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where does your mom live?

Anonymous said...

I have to stop reading these things at work... Everyone always wants to know "what's wrong".. because I'm crying!!! You are an awesome mom.. Caden is such a happy boy.. and I'm glad that you have such terrific writing skills so I can enjoy these moments too....

---Jess