Thursday, September 01, 2005

Movin in more ways than one

Yo! Well, by now those of you who read regularly probably already know that Jason and I are moving Charlotte, NC. We're excited. This move will allow us the ability to raise our child with a stay at home parent (AKA: me) and still be able to feed it and ourselves. This move is really great and is happening for all of the right reasons. God truly brought us to Tallahassee for many great reasons. We've met and formed relationships with some amazing people in two uniquely gifted churches. We've been able to experience positive and negative things and both types have helped us to discover what we really believe and has helped us to focus on the most important thing. God's word.
I think I made a mistake when I became a Soldier in The Salvation Army. I did so a year ago, after spending my entire life as an adherent and it was at a time when I felt the heavy burden of guilt to become an Officer. Gosh I've learned so much about God's will since then...and I still have my whole life to crack that surface even more.
The holiness covenant I signed is not really the problem. I agree that soldiers, adherents, Baptists, Penticostals, non-denominationists, ETC. should abide by such a thing in their everyday life. It's called holiness. Now the covenant in the Army has some specific 'Army' parts like don't drink alcohol ever and give alot of money to The Army but these commands are also great ways to live for any Christian who wants to uphold a good reputation and support their church so all in all, the wording on the paper is not the problem. I believe that a life of holiness is always a struggle because we're sinners born into a sinful world which is why there is NO ONE in this world who has adhered to their Soldiers covenant without fail their entire lives. The Old Testament is filled with covenants and God's wrath when his people disobeyed those covenants and since God hasn't changed I believe it's important to live up to what I signed, even though I choose not to wear my uniform anymore and will most likely choose not to attend a Salvation Army church in the future. The New Testament is filled with Jesus teachings of love, mercy and forgiveness. Jesus himself said 'Do not swear by anything....let your yes be your yes and your no be your no.'
Ok, so the Soldiership debate could go on forever but here is my disturbance. I have discovered that in many Salvtion Army environments, it is more important that I wear my uniform than it is that I disciple effectively, serve helpfully, love inclusively, or even tithe for that matter. That is really scary. That my soldiership (not what i signed but the traditions that I take part in) has become more important than my heart. CREEPY! Danger Zone. This has forced me to clear my mind and to refocus my Christianity. God has lead me back to his word and his word alone. Alot of time I have been acting on God's word and have been ridiculed or made to feel sinful because of how strongly regemented the Army is. I've been in situations where the topics of Jesus teachings and practices were brought up and some of those we choose not to participate in within The Salvation Army and tht only reason that anyone can give is because 'William Booth didn't think it would be a good idea.' EEEK! William Booth was a great man but his word holds more value with some people than the words of Jesus himself! This also creeped my out.
Basically with the baby coming I am forced to make some big decisions. What church do I want my child to be raised in? Through God's word and the counsel of many learned friends, I have determined that I must find a church with balance that focuses SOULY on God's word. I want my child to grow up with a love and desire to mimic the Life of Christ in an enviornment that can usher them at every stage of their growth. I want him/her to love church and for it to be a newcomer friendly enviornment where my child can invite their friends and those people can feel warmly accpeted, welcomed and comfortable. I am excited to see where Christ leads us.
Saying all this, I am so thankful to the Salvation Army, especially to the Corps Officers here in Tallahassee who have to the best of their ability aided us through this transition that was so greatly needed. Tallahassee served as a place for Jason and I to live int he same country together. Things were looking bleek for a while but God opened this door. Tallahasee has served as a place for us to find our true selves and a place for God to water us and challenge us and strengthen us. When we drive away from Tallahassee, it will be with heavy hearts. We've really loved it here.
Johnny, I am so excited to come to Charlotte and to see what miraculous movements are taking place at Charlotte Temple because of your God motivated leadership and your drive to please God and show who he really is in the face of traditionlists and adversities. You are a brave man to tackle this huge monster and you are winning through God's strength. I can't wait to see it! I can't wait to see you and everyone in NC! WAHOO!