Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Misunderstood

Hey Ya'll.....I love Southern Slang
I'm writing this blog in particular to clear up any misconceptions from my last entry.
Donnie - Thank you so much for your encouragement and your comment. We love you guys too and can't wait to see you in NC! I did however want to clear up some things that I may have said poorly but it's important to me that i be completely understood.
I really do believe that I made a mistake when I became a Salvationist, not because of what it means to be one, but because I became one for the wrong reasons. I agree with you that God's calling is never a mistake and I encourage those soldiers who are called to be so, but I feel as though my motivation came from feeling a 'pressure' to officership more so than a 'calling.' Noones mistake but my own and that's why I feel as though I made a mistake at the time.
I did write this particular entry at a time when ventilation was much needed so I inserted some jestful remarks that I didn't mean to be taken seriously. I know that the soldiers covenant does not say 'give alot of money to the Army.' That was my funny way of highlighting the area that says, 'give as much as you are able' and you are totally right, for alot of our people that may not be very much and I in no way shape or form am disagreeing with tithing...quite the opposite. I was also trying to be light hearted with my, 'don't drink alcohol ever' comment but what I was trying to say is that I agree with these practices in any church. I completely agree with you that alcohol can damage someones Christian witness and coming from a background where alcohol came close to destroying my home, I would never encourage drinking as an acceptable practice. I brought these things up to say that what is written on the articles of war does not bother me, in fact I agree with the things that most people disagree with or try to manipulate. It's important that you know that I was not fighting on behalf of those things but instead explaining that I believe in them too. In fact, I believe in the Articles of War which I signed and will remain true to my covenant. My commitment to my holiness covenant is not what I am disturbed with but rather many convictions that I have about certain teachings in the church. I have heard MANY people make the argument that we do not partake in certain acts of scripture because William Booth didn't want Salvation to be misunderstand or because William Booth didn't want people to turn back to their wicked ways and that's what I was refering to when I said, 'I've heard people put more emphasis on William Booth's words...' I guess I was being kind of a smart-alec (is that spelled right?) and I apologize, i was more meaning to be sarcastic than mean and I apologize if I hurt anyones feelings. And you're right, I should use the sniper-gun on that one because not all people think like that. It's important that you know that I was not attacking officers with any of these comments. I've been under poor leadership and I've been under great leadership and I know that 'people' are one thing and 'The Salvation Army' is another. In fact my current officers are WONDERFUL and have been a blessing and encouragement as I transition. I think I combined my beefs with both people and the organization in the last entry but I give props to officers who are in there rolling up their sleeves to make the Army, God's Army just like you guys.
Overall however, through MUCH prayer and study, i've come to many conclusions and I believe I am being called out of The Salvation Army, at least as a Soldier because although a soldier is a representation of Christ's work on the inside it is also a testimony that one is commited to the Army and it's beliefs and I am not anymore.
I love the Army, I love what it is doing in the face of disaster especially as of late. I love that it reaches out to people from all places and all walks of life and I have been an adherent in the Army my entire life. I have based many decisions in the past on 'people.' Either being mad at them or frustrated with them or even inspired by them but I promise you this is not one of those times. I have been strongly convicted by the Holy Spirit to return to biblical teaching and it alone as my source of living and as my guideline for holiness. I have many mentors but I would never place anyones opinion or impact on me above the leading and the divinity of Christ Jesus.
I hope this clears up some misconceptions. I was in a bit of typing-rage when I wrote the last entry which is why I feel as though my true feelings and beliefs were not portrayed as accurately as I would have liked. I hope this makes more sense.
Donnie, once again I can't wait to see you guys and thank you for reaching out and showing your concern and sharing with me your knowledge. You and Laura are great officers and wonderful people. Although I feel that the Army is not right for me and my family, I am inspired by people like you who 'get it.' You guys are awesome and The Army is better because of you both.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »