Friday, August 12, 2005

Doors

Life has been pretty crazy these past couple of weeks. Ever since we heard that Baby Boo was coming along we've been eagerly trying to figure out our next move. I, unlike alot of women, feel convicted to stay home when the baby is born. I know, I know, call me 1950's but those moments are so precious and I was raised by a stay-at-home-mom and I think I turned out pretty good. We've been exploring many options as to how to make this scenerio work and we're still pretty much in the dark as to what God's plan is for us. I have no doubt that this baby has come at the PERFECT time, because within the confines of a godly marriage that's how God works and it has always been my prayer that God would bless us with Children in His time and not my own, so I don't doubt the timing. This in turn helps me to not doubt the future. God placed this child within me and now he is going to place a future before me. A day or two this week my husband and I fell back into our old ways of thinking, wondering how 'WE' were going to do this and getting frustrated with our present lack of options but after seeking the counsel of several friends, God reminded us once again that there is stuff in the works that we can't see and that we need to pray in expectancy for the future. Which leads me to explain a very blessed turn of events:
We've been praying for God to shut all doors that need shutting and to open the door that needs opening and then to push us through it. While living here in Tallahassee we've had the priviledge of getting to know many wonderful people. We've also developed leaps and bounds in our Christian walk and our understanding of the scriptures. God has led us to discover hidden truths in his word that have literally transformed our lives and our thinking. We serve a powerful God! We've also had the priviledge of joining two church families. Some people may automatically be opposed to this, especially because one of the church's is our place of employment, but Jason and I have been SO blessed to have both of these entities in our lives.
The Salvation Army of course has been a blessing. The tiny congregation and the potential of the future there have been both motivating and inspirational. We love the mission of the Army and the history of the Army. We love what the Army is and we dream of what the Army could be. Through the Army we've been able to help people's physical needs, start new ministries and exercise our spiritual gifts. Although our job does not require us to attend the Corps, we choose to attend because of our deep admiration for the Army. On Wednesday nights we have been attending Lifechurch. Polar opposite atmospheres and yet when linked can bring such fulfillment to ones life. Lifechurch is a branch of the Penticostal church but it is the most biblically, balanced church I have ever attended. I've always been one to be over-cautious about emotionalism and 'putting on a show' almost to the point where I wouldn't have seen the power of God working through someone if they punched me in the face with it. But now I discern using scripture as my guide. So to make a LONG story short, attending both of these churchs has helped my husband and I to grow leaps and bounds in the Lord. And for those of you who are wondering, no, it's not wrong. Our commitment levels to both churchs have been clearly stated therefore we are dependable and held accountable by each plus if a church is going to get angry at us for growing stronger in Christ, then there is a problem. Denominational fueds....Grrrr...almost as ridiculous as The Salvation Army vs. The Red Cross but I'll save that rave for another time.
ANYWAY, God has been opening some serious doors for Jason to minister in Lifechurch. He's been called upon for several weeks in a row to conduct the services there while the head pastor is ill and the associate pastor has a family emergency. This is a huge deal given that Lifechurch has 750 attendees. Under the blessing of our Corps Officer, he has taken on the responsibility of leading back to back services at Lifechurch this coming Sunday. Pray for him and for whatever the future may bring in this ministry. Since the SAMS positions hold 0 stability (given that they are only 2 years in duration) we are going to need God to lead us onward. Perhaps we are to work securlarly, volunteering at our two awesome churchs. Maybe God is leading us into a different kind of ministry in which is name will be glorified and our experience in The Army will make us well equipped. Either way, we're open and ready for where he leads us.
Alot of times Salvationists assume that if people leave the Army it is because they are 'falling away' from God. I assure you that if Jason and I ever do attend another church that will not be the case. We praise God for our experiences in the Army, but we must go where he sends us whether that is to the Army or somewhere completely different.
Wow this is long! I guess I had alot to say! If Anyone actually made it to the end of this, please leave a comment. I need encouragement!
LOVE.

1 comment:

The Secret of Happiness said...

God, I lift Kathy and Jay to Your throne. Thank you for creating them. Thank you for the gifts you have chosen them to have. Thank you for keeping them safe. Thank you for the miracle you have given. Thank you for loving them. Pour Your blessing on them, love them in the way they need to be loved, give them people who will build them up and support their desire to serve You. Give them courage to go where they haven't gone before and serve You in a way they have never experienced. Release them from doubt. They were created to serve YOU. They want to serve YOU. May it be so. I pray this through the name of Your Son. Amen.