Saturday, April 09, 2005

Good-bye Hair

I got my hair all cut off yesterday. It was down my back and now it barely touches my shoulders. I love it! I woke up yesterday in a pretty down mood and decided, "That's it! I'm going to get my hair cut!" It was a bold move for me, because I have been growing it out long for over a year, but I wasn't doing anything with it. I'd just wake up every morning, shower, and put it back in a pony tail. I wasn't using the hair that I grew so what was the point in having it weigh me down. Mmmm..Sounds like a spiritual analogy...Maybe for another time!
I went to a salon I had never been to before, in the mall close to my apartment. I walked in and said, "I want to chop my hair off." They checked the schedule and told me that a woman named Judy would cut my hair in 20 minutes. So I waited, and I prayed that Judy wouldn't ruin my head. Like I said, it was a big step and I wanted someone who really knew what they were doing. So about 35 minutes went by, and out walks this little woman in her 60's with a limp and she says, "Kathy Stock?"
I WAS SCARED TO DEATH! All around me were these young, trendy, hair dressers with fabulous hair and styles and I got grandma?!
So she asked me what I wanted done, and I began to tell her. She interrupted me and began to describe what she thought I wanted, and honestly, she was right on the money. We started going through the whole routine of washing and cutting and chatting. I told her I worked for the Salvation Army as an Evangelist and she went on to tell me that a good friend of hers was on the Advisory Board and that she was familiar with what we did. She then went on to tell me how her Salon Chair is her ministry, and that many people who have sat in that chair have listened intently to her share the gospel. She told me of struggles she had in her life and how God always saw her through. I told her I was new to Tallahassee and she gave me many words of encouragement. This woman at the hair salon was doing the job that I am paid to do, and she was doing it on me! She spent a lot of time on my hair, styling it and showing me different techniques, and when it was all over she didn't charge me for hardly anything. When I went to the counter and saw how little I had to pay she looked at me and said, "Welcome to Tallahassee." I hugged her and told her that I felt like God had made a divine appointment for me that day. It was a blessing at a much needed time, wrapped up in the kindness of a little 64 year old lady with a limp. My hair came out exactly how I wanted it too!
I've been in a bit of a funk lately. Everything has been weighing on me and I've been feeling so sorry for myself. Do you ever have one of those really bad attitudes that you know stinks but you just can't shake it? That's been me. I don't feel like I'm very good at my job, I don't have any passion or drive to do much of anything, I feel completely worn out and I haven't really been doing anything. I know that a lot of what I am feeling emotionally is effected by the mono and how I feel physically, but I hate using that as a crutch. At night, Jay has been working at the Homeless Coalition and I've been coming home alone. At first I loved having the time to myself, but the other night I realized that even if I did want to go out and do something with someone, I've got no one to call, and so I started getting pouty about that. "Boo Hoo I have no friends."
When I woke up and decided to get my hair cut, I wanted the change to reflect a change in attitude and direction and lifestyle. I don't know if that would have happened if I didn't meet Judy that day.
It's funny how God gives you what you need in places you wouldn't expect.