Monday, June 29, 2009

Hello Old Friends

Ok, I have been slacking big time in the blogging department. In my defense, life has been non-stop for the past two+ weeks and I am just now finding a moment to sit and type. Feels good.
Our trip to Newfoundland was inexpressibly amazing. The travel day (with the exception of a very slow immigration line in St. John's and Caden's suitcase going MIA for a few days) was as perfect as it good have been. Caden was an angel and remained sweet all day on very little sleep. I have gained a new and refreshed appreciation for my little man. He made me so proud.
Nan and Pop were waiting excitedly at the airport with a giant dinosaur toy in hand. From the moment we landed til the day we left, they poured every ounce of energy into making sure we had a great time, and they succeeded. For months preceding our visit, they prepared for Caden's arrival. He had his own room filled with toys, books, 'Cat in the Hat' bed sheets and little boy themed everything. He had more toys at Nan and Pop's house than he has at his own! Nan and Pop also spent every moment playing hands on with Caden...throwing rocks in the ocean, swimming in the pond...my Dad even put a wheelbarrow full of sawdust in the shed so that if it rained, Caden would have dry sawdust to dig and rake with. Mom made sure Caden had everything he needed, including a warm, fresh-from-the-dryer towel when he got out of the tub. It was the picture of a hospitality and love.
Amy's wedding was fantastic. It was great to see everyone. I miss you all so much. Amy was the most stunning bride I have ever seen in my life...absolutely beautiful. They flew off to a cruise the next day so it was very weird being in Newfoundland while Amy was in Florida. Still, had a blast with her and everybody in good ol' St. John's. That will always be my favourite city on earth.
I won't lie, it's been a difficult transition coming back. I knew it would be...I knew before I went to Newfoundland that I would mourn leaving it all over again. I never use to be this emotional about home until I had Caden. I do miss the beautiful geography of my homeland. The rugged cliffs and salt water air...but now that I have a child, I literally hurt at the thought that my parents and childhood friends don't get to be physically in his life daily. It's hard to raise a child in a foreign country. Some days I don't mind being an immigrant and I know it's only a matter of time before I feel comfortable in the US of A again. As of right now, I feel very out of place. Luckily, my husband and son ease the majority of my homesickness. They are home to me.
It's not out of distaste for America that I feel this way because I have many loved ones here...I just wish my family were more accessible. They are such a positive force in Caden's life...thankfully, they have always made the best of their situation. Daily phone calls to chat with Caden, sending letters and packages to him monthly, even if all the envelopes hold are stickers...he knows Nan and Pop and has a very real relationship with them regardless of the distance because they go above and beyond to make sure he feels remembered, loved and special. It warms my heart to feel that Caden, Jay and I are a priority to them even though we're world's away.
I also miss the culture of Newfoundland. I love how Canadians take off their shoes at the door and are sickeningly polite. I miss Newfoundland dialect and being able to speak the way I speak while being understood by everyone. Jay will often have to nudge me and remind me that something I just said is 'not a word'. In Newfoundland, that doesn't happen ;)
So in a nutshell, I miss the big things and I miss the little things about life in Newfoundland but I will reacclamate to the southern USA. I have a great life here and I have the most amazing husband and son a girl could ever ask for. I am allowed to experience a moment of sadness from time to time but the key is not to wallow in it...today I will wash the floors, play with Caden, prepare for friends to come over tonight, purchase a cheap table off of craigslist and jump head first into my pretty awesome life...a tear might form when I think about how far away I am from my Mama but that's healthy. I'd rather miss them than not miss them at all.
I'll post pics soon. Our computer cord is fried so we're waiting for the new one to arrive in the mail. Thankfully, Ms. Amber's laptop is here ;)

2 comments:

Dana said...

glad you had a good time! Sorry you're sad but I'm glad you're back in Florida!

Kathryn said...

I love this post...And it mad eme miss NFLD. I'm so glad you guys had fun....

I want to see you!!!! :o)