Saturday, December 17, 2005

Merry Christmas Perforated Disc!

It was December 31, 2001. My friends and I were celebrating the New Year at Clifford Perry's house in Conception Bay South, Newfoundland. After the stroke of 12, 2001 turned into 2002, and we were all just a little rambunctious. To elliviate some of our energy, my friends and I decided to have a massive snowball fight and beating session to the death. Cliff and I have a history of violent wrestling matches and this night was no exception. After being plummitted with snowballs, thrown to the ground several times, punched and kicked repeatedly, it was clear. Cliff had won.
I stumbled inside completely drenched and caked with snow and ice. Cliff gave me some clothes to put on and all of the weary fighters gathered in the living room for hot drinks and calmness. I was sitting on the couch when I felt the sudden twinge of pain in my back. It was annoying, more like a pinch than anything else, but it kept getting progressively worse. I decided to go to the kitchen and get some pain killers but when I stood up I wasn't able to stand up straight. I was hunched over like a little old man. By the end of the evening, my body resembled the shape of an 'L'. I was completely bent at the waist and could not straighten up any more than that. I was in excrutiating pain. I tried to laugh it off, not wanting people to think I was being overly dramatic, but I seriously could not physically straighten up and the pain was horrific. Eventually Cliff brought me and my roomate Amy home to our apartment, along with a few of our friends. Of course, we lived on the 4th floor of an apartment building with no elevator, so that was a feat in and of itself. It took me an hour to lie down in bed that night and 2 hours to get out of bed in the morning. I was trying to lift myself by using my elbows and actually rubbed them raw like a carpet burn. It was sad and pathetic. I stayed in the apartment for two days like that until my parents came and got me and brought me to the doctor where I discovered that I had slipped a disc in my lower back. It took two weeks to recover to the point of proper posture but since then my lower left side has always been a little touchy. Why have I told this story?
Well now that I am pregnant this horrid condition is begining to rear it's ugly head again. My tummy has doubled in size in the last month and the weight has caused my back to scream "WHAT'S GOING ON!?!"
So pray for me, because I cannot afford to be hunched over at the waste with a large belly. This may become uncomfortable. Maybe this is why God shut the door on me working during my pregnancy. Who knows? Either way I would like to take this moment to wish my perforated disc a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

No comments: